Just upgraded, Finder is annoying me...

A

antizero

Whenever I boot up my powerbook finder opens up the following window. When I shut down, I open a finder window WITH the toolbar showing and with it in the center of my screen. Back when I was using panther, it would show up that way when I rebooted. But instead, I get this:

(see attachment)

I tried playing with finder's preferences, and view options, but nothing is making it stay the way I want it to. Can anyone help? Otherwise, Tiger is running very nicely for me, glad I upgraded.

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Reaction score
click the button at the top right of the finder window, that should switch to the view with the toolbar and sidebar and it shoud stay like that then

OP
A

antizero

zeta101 said:
click the button at the top right of the finder window, that should switch to the view with the toolbar and sidebar and it shoud stay like that then

I've tried that, numerous times. Doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would give the steps here a try:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5284

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you shut your Mac down? Mac OS X is pretty much designed and intended to be left running 24/7. Unless you plan on being away from your computer for days on end, I wouldn't shut it down. (and maybe not even then :black: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
D3v1L80Y said:

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you shut your Mac down? Mac OS X is pretty much designed and intended to be left running 24/7. Unless you plan on being away from your computer for days on end, I wouldn't shut it down. (and maybe not even then :black:)

Agreed... I never turn my powermac off, currently I am on my powerbook because I am away for the weekend, and my quad core powermac is still on at home. It really does not save any money to turn it off, they do not use that much power. Even my powerbook I do not turn off, but I don't completely leave it on, I put it to sleep which will also solve your finder problem because it will be how you left it the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
D3v1L80Y said:

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you shut your Mac down? Mac OS X is pretty much designed and intended to be left running 24/7. Unless you plan on being away from your computer for days on end, I wouldn't shut it down. (and maybe not even then :black:)
Really? Do you mean put it to sleep or leaving the HDD's active? I've heard countless stories about leaving laptops on; as they're not designed for that purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
juco said:
Really? Do you mean put it to sleep or leaving the HDD's active? I've heard countless stories about leaving laptops on; as they're not designed for that purpose.
Macs are meant to be up and running all the time. I don't even sleep the thing. The only time I shut the lid is when I am transporting it.
I have yet to have any trouble with any Mac I have ever had by doing this. Not even laptops...I have had no problems with heat in any PowerBook or iBook I have had.
I just make sure that the scripts run each night, I repair permissions regularly, I don't bog down my system with useless crap..etc. Macs are very low maintenance.

The reason you hear some people having problems, is because there are likely other factors involved. Simply leaving a computer (laptop or not) on is not going to damage it. I have worked in IT and tech support jobs for years.... and when a person has a problem... there is ALWAYS something that they are leaving out or just plain forgetting and not concentrating on that turns out to be the real issue. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Hah, since i've owned my G4 iBook i've always made a point of trying to switch it off, or put it to sleep as often as possible. but as you put it like that, it seems rather pointless!

D3v1L80Y said:
I just make sure that the scripts run each night
Purely out of curiosity, what scripts do you run and what purpose do they serve?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
juco said:
Purely out of curiosity, what scripts do you run and what purpose do they serve?
MacOS X has a set of routine tasks (CRON-scripts) that are run automatically -usually between 3:00 and 5:00 AM.

You can find more information on them HERE.

If you absolutely MUST turn your computer off, then I would suggest getting something like Cocktail or MacJanitor to run the scripts manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.