Networking/sharing files between iMac (wired) and Windows (wireless)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have my iMac G3 (running Panther) on wired ethernet connected to a Linksys router for internet, and I have my iTunes library stored on it (plus an external HDD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions).

I also have a Windows XP laptop which has wireless connection to the router.

Basically, I want to know how I can network them so I can wirelessly access the music on my iMac (or on external HDD) from my windows laptop (for example if I am browsing the net in the garden and want some music).

EDIT: Also, if anybody knows any good free remote access software so I can control my mac from a windows computer over the internet or network, it would be great.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/

I have to say this site helped me out alot when I wanted to set up file sharing between XP and OS X. Give it a shot and I think you will be pleased.

As for remote desktop between Mac and PC, I would be very interested in that myself.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot, I'll check that site out.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep it worked fine.

I can add all of my music from my iMac into my Windows iTunes library and listen to it.

I have also set up a sharing folder on my Windows laptop to share files with my iMac, but to access it I need to disable my windows firewall (ZoneAlarm).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Rock on! I'm all too glad to pass on the knowlage that was passed onto me through these forums.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm just having trouble trying to configure ZoneAlarm firewall on my windows laptop to allow sharing, because to access I need to disable it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.