Wondering about getting a Mac Pro

Reaction score
Right now I've got the Powerbook on my computer desk to my left. In front of me sits my two Dell 1900FP LCD's. My PC has DVI going to monitor 1 (left) and VGA to monitor 2 (right). I''m running a VGA out of the Powerbook into monitor 1 and I can then just toggle the input switch on the monitor to go from dual monitor PC to Mac on the left and PC on the right.

Ok.

I've been using Logic Pro and, with the amount of effects and inserts I'm adding into every track, I am beginning to see the Powerbook strain a bit. Kind of annoying, but hey it's a laptop, right?

I know the new Mac Pro desktops will be coming out soon, so I'm thinking of maybe purchasing one, loading it up for bear, and also running Parallels on it for my Windows XP stuff. My PC is a custom-built, watercooled BEAST of a machine, but I've tried other music programs and nothing, and I mean nothing beats Logic. I don't know how to explain it, but the Macs just "do" music and video better than a PC, even my custom-built hotrod. And it's not so much system performance, either, because my PC is about as good as it gets. It's the way the software is written and fucntions.

Anyhow, I envision a Mac Pro with a quad core or whatever the best CPU combination there is, and a decent sized hard drive. Video card and more memory I can pick up myself and save $$$. I can continue to use my two Dell 19" LCD's, or go for something better, say some widescreen, low response-time monitors and Ebay these things.

In the end, I would dismantle the PC and sell off the parts (shame). But the way I see it, if I can do everything on the Mac Pro and run my Windows stuff via Parallels, what's the point in having a PC anymore, right???

I'm sure down the road I can figure out how to watercool it and overclock it, but that is very low on the list of things to do.

As far as upgrades, I'd get the best video card I could, try to cram a terabyte of storage into it, and at least 2 gigs of memory.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this idea, and if anyone is in a similar situation and contemplating the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
OR instead of running parallels you could use Boot Camp/whatever they use in Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I think that you will be very pleased with the Mac Pro. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when we learn that they are absolute beasts. Seriously, I wouldn't think twice.

I know what you mean by the programs just work better on the Mac, it's an eerie feeling--but one of those things that make Macs great.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what it is. I've got Sony Vegas, Sony SoundForge on the PC, but I prefer iMovie/iDvd and Logic Pro. No doubt that rendering takes at least half the time on my PC, but I'd rather play a game on my PC while my Powerbook renders video. LOL

Yes, I forgot that Leopard will have Boot Camp integrated. That's right. I'm really really leaning towards selling this PC and having a dual-boot Mac Pro beast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.