Shared HP PSC 1510 hooked to XP box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Well I am a first time Mac user, and I managed to figure this little problem out for myself, so I thought I would share my experience in case anyone else out there ran into similar trouble.

First, what I was trying to accomplish:
I have a HP PSC 1510 all in one hooked up to my Windows XP desktop, and I wanted to use windows print sharing to allow my MacBook to print to it.

Well, with a quick search on this site, I managed to find a link to this site here:
http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/

Very useful site indeed! With the simple how-to they provided, I got my Mac to connect right away, or so I thought.

You see, my Mac listed the shared printer as "generic post script printer" and I thought this was OK, but it was not. Every time I tried to print, all I got were pages of gibberish.

Well that's no good, now is it? No, of course not. So now I tried to find my printer model in a list of printers offered by OSX, nope. Not there

I tried to download just a driver from the HP site, but once again this did not work. All they had was a file to install the printer locally, and this would just not do.

Once again I hit the forum search, and Google, but they both failed me. So I tried something a little off the wall, I decided to tell my Mac that what it was actually connecting to was a HP Photosmart P1100, and what do you know? It works! Boo-yah! I was so happy to see my troubleshooting skills do carry over to Mac.

Reaction score
I am in the same boat.. simple answer, hook it up to the mac... advanced answer, call applecare only to be told that the cant help and to hook it up to the mac..

I tried everythink. from bringing in tech guys to going to the apple store. what i did was i went to the apple store and told them that they told me that it would would and got in a fight with them and they gave me an airport express 50% off and i used it to solve the issue

OP
eddiddiums
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't bother calling Apple Care, as I figured they would shoot me down having the printer hooked to an XP box and hooking the printer to the laptop didn't make any sense as most of my printing is done from my desktop. At any rate, I'm glad you got your issue worked out.

Reaction score
Try using a airport express... it works for me...

OP
eddiddiums
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT-XTREEM said:
Try using a airport express... it works for me...

Unfortunatly the printer is an all in one, and I need to maintain the scanner functionality. So the method that I am using right now is fine :)

Reaction score
eddiddiums...did you ever get this working....I am in the same boat, I have an HP PSC 1610 and I connect it using smb and use a generic driver and all I get is gibberish. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Try using one of the other Deskjet Series print drivers. I can print just fine to our PSC1510 connected to a windows box using the Deskjet Series 1.3.

You can also check-out My First Mac to set-up Unix printing on the PC then connect via the Mac.

Getting scanning to work connected remotely... not so much luck there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.