linkysys router problem

J

joedavis5

I could use some help with setting up my new wireless linkysys router...

I'd rather do it over AIM: JoeDavis345

OP
J

joedavis5

Alright, well no one is really doing that.

So I just got a macbook.. And I'd really like to set up a wireless network. I bought this linkysys router so I could hook up my laptop wirelessy and then have a connection go into my mac mini in the same room.

My house set up is this

iMac g5 (parent's computer) and g4 powerbook (dad's laptop) are both downstairs.

We have a wired linksys router downstairs. We had a Belkin wireless router but it was terrible and would always lose the connection, so we got rid of it... So I wire goes into the imac g5 and the powerbook. Then I have a wire that goes up into my room up a flight of stairs... Right now it's connected to my macbook..But I'd like both. So I bought another router (i'm going to college in 2 months so I figured I'd get a router, with both connections for my computer and then one for my brother's PC).

The wired internet works perfectly fine for my macbook and mac mini but once I put it into the wireless router that I bought that also switches off to go into my mac mini, the internet does not work at all.

There are no drivers on the linksys website, and there isnt anything to set it up that comes with it.

So... Should I ditch the linkysys and get an airport extreme (this really is a last case scenario as that thing is a fortune), not really digging the airport express since I want two internet connections, one wireless and one wired in my room. OR can someone please tell me how to set it up.

Thanks for any help

I'm off to poker in a few minutes so if anyone wants to help me around midnight EST, IM me or just leave suggestions here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model Linksys Router is this? That will help someone to help you. If you post that real fast, when I get home later I will download the manual and see if I can help you. Any Linksys Wireless router should work just fine with your Macs.

Also how were you connected before? A Wired Router?

OP
J

joedavis5

dtravis7 said:
What model Linksys Router is this? That will help someone to help you. If you post that real fast, when I get home later I will download the manual and see if I can help you. Any Linksys Wireless router should work just fine with your Macs.

Also how were you connected before? A Wired Router?

WRT55AG

wired router...it's still downstairs... It connects the internet to my room and then the imac and pb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All you should have to do is this:

Turn off all the computers

Turn off the broadband modem

Connect all of your wired computers to the Wireless router

Connect the Wireless router to the modem

Power on the modem

Power on the Wireless router

Let the modem cycle through

Then turn on the computers one by one

If you do all of that, then each computer should pull an IP address when it is powered on and each one will then have a connection to the internet. Wired and Wireless, depending on the computer. That is really all there is to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.