budget laptops and looking at ibooks

S

supenguin

Hi! Just found these forums. Search on google for "mac forums" and guess what came up first? Anyway... I've decided I really want to get a laptop, almost bought a 2.4 ghz Toshiba I found for $699 after rebate. I'm glad I didn't buy it now. A friend pointed out I could probably get an ibook for around that price... I've been wanting a Mac since OS/X first came out. Getting tired of fighting with Windows and tinkering with Linux.

I'll be using it mostly for surfing the web, email, playing DVD's, occasional gaming and programming when I get around to it. I've been looking at the refurbished 12" and 14" ibooks with combo drives on the Apple Store. Any thoughts/suggestions? BTW, the absolute most I can spend is $1,000.

OP
S

supenguin

ibook problems?

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this question... I've recently heard rumors of ibook logic boards being faulty. Is this an issue or just a couple very vocal people on the Internet?

OP
J

jonnyturner

yeah i think its definately a case of the latter. i had that fear but me and my father have both just bought 14" G4 Ibooks and they run like an absolute dream ;)

there are plenty of people on here that will gladly tell you how great they are

OP
J

jonnyturner

and btw, its my first mac too, so id recommend it highly, its certainly made me decide to switch for keeps ;)

OP
S

supenguin

I wasn't thinking about getting a G4 ibook... It would be nice, but due to the $1,000 limit they're out of the question. Apple does currently have refurbished 14" ibook g3's. That's what I'm looking at getting.

OP
S

StarManta

Well, Macs are anything but budget computers to be completely honest... honestly on a $1000 budget for a laptop I'd have probably gone for a windows PC... but if you can find one you like for the price, then by all means go for it. If there's an apple store near you, go up and try one out. Odds are, if you like the feel of it when you first pick it up, you'll be in love until your wallet expands to Powerbook size :)

OP
J

jonnyturner

i totally agree, i bought an old imac 400 DV off ebay a week or two back with the intention of just learning about macs as a back up to my pc

within a week i was hooked and sold it on and bought my ibook! i just had to have it. i even sold my PC to fund it and havent used a PC since (apart from at work)

its definately worth makin that little extra stretch in funds if you can. if not then yeah there are loads of great second hand macs flying about, or even a refurbished G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
supenguin said:
I'll be using it mostly for surfing the web, email, playing DVD's, occasional gaming and programming when I get around to it. I've been looking at the refurbished 12" and 14" ibooks with combo drives on the Apple Store. Any thoughts/suggestions? BTW, the absolute most I can spend is $1,000.

Good choice - just be sure to max-out the RAM.

OP
S

StarManta

not at the apple store, though - buy third-party RAM. It's much cheaper and easy to install.

OP
S

supenguin

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

StarManta - I realize Macs are not budget computers. Thankfully I don't need anything high performance right now. I've got a friend who has a Titanium Powerbook and have used it enough to know I like it. I'm sick and tired of dealing with Windows. I'd be running just Linux, but I need something my wife can use too. I love the thought of a Unix-based OS that just works. Added bonus that the hardware seems to be higher quality than PC. I think I could've bought a 17" Powerbook with the money I've spent on PC parts for 2 PCs the last couple years. Time to stop the madness.

I was definitely planning on maxing out RAM... I was also thinking of getting the Apple Care warranty. Do I have to get that at the same time as I buy my Mac?

Another question while I'm at it. What's the difference between a 12" Powerbook and G4 ibook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.