• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Pro to continue Quad-Core Tradition? Woodcrest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Taken from Macrumors.com:

AppleInsider is confirming that Apple's upcoming Mac Pro will indeed be quad-core in at least one model. However, with quad-core on a single chip (Kentsfield) not due until Q1 2007, Apple will have to employ two dual-core chips like today's Quad.

The use of multiple processors in the Mac Pro would require Intel's Woodcrest chip. Early rumors had indicated that Conroe was on tap for the Mac Pro, but Conroe can not be used in dual-processor configurations.

Recent pre-release benchmarks of Woodcrest can be found here. Still unknown about the Mac Pro is exactly what Apple has in store for the enclosure. AppleInsider does note that recent motherboard prototypes from Intel largely mimic the size of today's PowerMac motherboards, which could indicate that an immediate departure from the current form factor is not in the cards.

An additional story on the motherboard design and other talk is located here

Early Woodcrest benchmarks can be found here.

Reaction score
thanks for the info techster82. And i think everything is going to happen in 2007 like Vista, or maybe Leopard too, new intel chips and maybe more.

And it is going to change a lot of things in the computer/mac industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
interesting info, but i hope they keep the powermac name, mac pro imho is pretty bad and i like macbook and MBP. oh well.

there will be a lot of speculation and i think we will be more than surprised by what they give us. hopefully steve will finally get his 3.0ghz he wanted two years ago.

and coltssaturday, the switch is supposed to be done by the end of this year so everything will be out well before vista
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Wow, that is very interesting news indeed. I am really looking forward to what's going to be released!

Reaction score
coach_z said:
and coltssaturday, the switch is supposed to be done by the end of this year so everything will be out well before vista
-chris

But i heard on macrumors that the target release for Leopard is January 2007. Read more HERE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the powermacs.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
wow wow i want one NOW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
[sarcasm]

What I can't wait is for Steve to come out and tell us how the new machine will be 25x faster than the Quad G5s......

[/sarcasm]

Reaction score
baggss said:
[sarcasm]

What I can't wait is for Steve to come out and tell us how the new machine will be 25x faster than the Quad G5s......

[/sarcasm]

haha, you are funny, good one. :D

S

sharpie05

heres my idea....

i heard from somebody that apple was going to release a consumer tower(am new to this forum, sorry to whoever(if anyone) posted this already)

release that consumer tower with the woodcrests, and call it the mac pro(or iMac Pro), and wait a bit for kentsfield.

release the PowerMac with two kentsfield chips(8 cores!!!AAAHHHAHA),and keep the powermac name! everybody is happy!

also, wouldnt it be nice if kentsfield had some sort of hyperthreading? theoretically, with that kind of setup you could have 16 logical processors. just a thought....

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I would almost put a Benjamin down that the name "Powermac" is gone once they are converted to Intel chips. Apple has already trademarked the Mac Pro moniker so whether you like it or not that name looks to be the future.

I am still drooling over the 64GB Flash hard drives just introduced. I will get around to drooling over dual quad cores next week. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.