Darwin Cuts me Off

W

wabbitsnot

Hello,

I've got a G4 Ibook with os x 10.4.6. For some reason it shut down the other day randomly on full battery. Whenever I start the machine, it loads the startup for Mac OS X: "Starting Mac OS X..." the bar completes, but then it switches to the blackscreen Darwin interface: "Darwin/BSD (localhost) (console)"

I can login just fine. I tried ctrl+d; it seems like it will load again but always sends me back to the Darwin interface. Holding C when it starts does indeed permit me to reinstall OSX, but I don't have enough space to put all my previous system files in a seperate directory. PLEASE help! I don't want to lose my hard drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try enabling root user from the CD and logging in as root. Sometimes profiles will get corruptions and if you're are auto logging in than perhaps there is an issur there. Root would be a fresh profile. Also try permission repair if not done already.

OP
W

wabbitsnot

MacsWork said:
Try enabling root user from the CD and logging in as root. Sometimes profiles will get corruptions and if you're are auto logging in than perhaps there is an issur there. Root would be a fresh profile. Also try permission repair if not done already.

PR does not work and I can't seem to login under root (in the Darwin interface). The installation CD is in the computer, but the startup follows the same pattern as before. How do I enable root user from the CD if OS X won't load?

btw, here are my specifications:
1.42 ghz, 512 RAM, OSX 10.4.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.