Printer driver missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I recently tried configuring my macbook to print to my HP Photosmart 7260 that is attached to my Slackware box. Theoretically, this should be easy because I could just set up an IPP printer and be away.

Unfortunately, despite my printer being listed as natively supported by Mac OS X 10.4, there are only 2 Photosmart printers in the list of HP drivers to choose from, the 100 and 1100 IIRC.

Should the PhotoSmart 7260 be listed as a specific printer or is the entire photosmart range covered for print only by the two drivers that I can see? I tried installing the foomatic/hpijs drivers just to see if that would work, but they are causing 'no document sent' errors on the server when I try to print.

Thanks,

--
C

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you check Hp's support page and check for your printer to see if a driver is available?

OP
cazabam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
rman, yes, I checked, and it simply said that my printer was already natively supported by 10.4. That's what concerns me :(

If you're running 10.4, can you check your list of available HP drivers and see how many PhotoSmart drivers are available for you?

Ta,

--
C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Have you ever ran an applicationa such as Cleaner, which removes unnecessary files (such as unused printer drivers, fonts, language support, etc.)? If so, you may inadvertantly deleted the driver.

Another suggestion, I believe there is a generic postscript printer driver. Try that?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have the hp photosmart 2575 all-in-one. I used the CD that came with the printer to set it up.

Looking in the Library -> Printers -> hp -> Utilities -> Printer model Data Files. I don't see your printer, the closes printer is the 7200. I don't see mine in the list either, the closes for mine is the 2500 also.

Did your printer come with any install media?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.