MacBook heat issue...

OP
L

Lucky8

DeathToPCs said:
Well I got my Macbook 1.83ghz 4 days ago and the first thing I did was took out 1 of the 256mb sticks and put a 1gb stick in. WOW... this thing ran so darn hot it was insane!! Today I went out and bought the same 1gb stick and replaced the other 256mb stick with it. So now 2 identical sticks of 1gb DDR2 533mhz ram in it and it is so much more cooler then before. I heard that if you are running 2 different size sticks of ram in it then it will run hotter then if you have 2 of the same size ram in it. Is this true? seems like it to me.
Can anyone comment on that?
I thought MacBooks use DDR2 677MHz RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
DeathToPCs said:
Well I got my Macbook 1.83ghz 4 days ago and the first thing I did was took out 1 of the 256mb sticks and put a 1gb stick in. WOW... this thing ran so darn hot it was insane!! Today I went out and bought the same 1gb stick and replaced the other 256mb stick with it. So now 2 identical sticks of 1gb DDR2 533mhz ram in it and it is so much more cooler then before. I heard that if you are running 2 different size sticks of ram in it then it will run hotter then if you have 2 of the same size ram in it. Is this true? seems like it to me.

yeah, i don't think it's true. in the beginning, when i installed my two 1gb ram sticks, i thought it was running cooler, but i think it was just my imagination. i think the best way to keep it cool is to use it off the battery and not while plugged into the magsafe. when it's plugged in, it gets ridiculous. running just on battery power it's more than tolerable.

has anybody tried installing a single 2gb ram stick? maybe that's the solution to all our problems? hahaha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
How does one recalibrate the sensor in order to allow the fan to come on at a lower temperature? Say... 3-5 degrees Celsius.

I don't see how having a gazillion gigs of RAM is going to lower the temperature at all. We'd have to take 10 MacBooks and run them all at 512, then 1G, then 2G and make time/temperature charts in order to make a definitive answer.

I could be wrong, but it seems that adding RAM to alleviate the heat is the wrong answer... that's not what RAM is for. If there is even the slightest connection between relieving the computer's load just a little bit in order to give the processor a break, I doubt our laps and hands are finely tuned enough to be sensitive to a 1 or 2 degree Fahrenheit change.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.