• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Box.net free 1GB account, mount on your Mac

Reaction score
I read on TUAW.com the other day about www.box.net who are offering online storage accounts (free 1gb and paid ones for more space/features). The cool thing is that you can mount the storage on your mac kinda like an iDisk. It doesn't seem to be an advertised featured, but some other guys at uneasysilence.com figured it out.

One problem is that you can't really upload files with spaces in their names because they become invisible when browsing in the Finder (it's a bug iwth box.net). After reading through blog comments etc and having a play around with automator I made something I was happy with so I've made a post on a blog (here ) detailling how to setup the mounted drive (which is suprisingly easy) and a followup post (here) on how to workaround the spaces in filename bug.

Hope someone finds this useful! You can mount the drive pretty easily in windows to so it can be useful for swapping small files (I don't think it can go over 10mb on the free account unfortunatly).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
interesting i will have to check that out
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yeah, I'll be able to use it! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Good find! I might have to check this out.

OP
Z
Reaction score
iWonder said:
You could also use gDisk.
http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/
turns a gmail into a storage. 2gb (and counting apparently)

When I first tried this a while back it didn't have the function to remember your login details, which made it very annoying to use, just had another look and it's nice to see you can now add your login and pass to the keychain, ill start using this too!

EDIT--Looks like i spoke too soon, after you quit gdisk and reopen you still have to enter your email in again (although the keychain does autofill the password), argggh! why can't it just remember it! :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.