How about games and boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
My cousin wants to buy the Intel Core Duo Mini, with a gig of ram. He wants to put boot camp on it, then run Counter Strike Source from Steam on Windows XP. So, how will games like CS: Source run under boot camp with a Duo Core, and a gig of ram? Is there any upgrades I should add?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing that might get in the way depending how demanding the game is would be the Intel GMA-950 Integrated Graphics with Shared memory. I have a Core Duo Mini with Boot Camp, I was suprised how well some games play, but the REAL demanding ones of course due to the Graphics Subsystem are not the best. Doom III for example is playable but only really low resolutions. Less demanding games are fine.

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All he wants to play is Counter Strike: Source. But im sure it would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I can run Oblivion on my iMac 128 vram 512 RAM 1.8 Core Duo Intel no problem, he should have no trouble with CS:S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
BlindingLights said:
I can run Oblivion on my iMac 128 vram 512 RAM 1.8 Core Duo Intel no problem, he should have no trouble with CS:S.

your imac has twice the vram as this guys mini....i wil still be a lil weary of runnin with 68mb of video ram and playing games but i have not done any gaming on xp on a mac
=chris

L

Logan

Yeah iMac specs ROCK a Mac Mini, so just because an iMac can play a game means nothing about the Mac Mini performance.

I got bootcamp running on my mac mini before returning it, CS:S should run OK. Not great, but OK. You *probably* will get lag at higher than 1024x resolution. Remember everything in a mac mini is like a laptop. 5200 RPM HDD (less datarate speed), laptop ram, less video card ram, you are paying for small size and not so much performance. He'll probably notice longer load times initially, but other than that CS:S should run pretty well once the game is in action.

Don't quote me though, I Have *NOT* tested this game on a Mac Mini. This is my guess from my personal experience with the mac mini. All above comparisons are with an iMac/Desktop PC equivalence.

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wellmy PC is a 2GHZ, 768MB, and has a 64MB Video card, and it runs good on low settings. My cousin is getting a gig of ram, and i'll probably give him a stick that I have laying around.

He may be able to get an iMac, but I think the most he can pay is $1000.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.