where is my thunderbird?

J

jnphoto

Hey Everyone,

New to Mac here. I just installed thunderbird on my new Macbook, I set it up and downloaded my mail. Then I shut down my computer and came back later. Now I can't find Thunderbird. All I find when I use the spotlight is the .dmg file on the desktop and a thunderbird folder, which doesn't seem to contain a startup icon.

Can anyone tell me where it is? lol

Thanks!
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
The only thing I can think if is that when you first ran Thunderbird you ran it from the .dmg file. Try this. Open the Thunderbird .dmg file. Drag the Thunderbird icon to your Applications folder. Close the .dmg file. Then go to Applications and launch Thunderbird from there.

OP
J

jnphoto

Erudite.Warrior said:
The only thing I can think if is that when you first ran Thunderbird you ran it from the .dmg file. Try this. Open the Thunderbird .dmg file. Drag the Thunderbird icon to your Applications folder. Close the .dmg file. Then go to Applications and launch Thunderbird from there.

That did the trick and I fixed firefox also. I have a lot to learn about macs:)

Can I delete the dmg file now?

Thanks!
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
jnphoto said:
That did the trick and I fixed firefox also. I have a lot to learn about macs:)

Can I delete the dmg file now?

Thanks!
John

Yes. Delete the DMG file, you no longer need it. Think of the DMG file as the "installer" application in windows. Once you install the program, you delete the install application right? Same thing, just A LOT easier on a MAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
just to expand on that a little the process of dragging from the disk image (.dmg) to your applications folder is the process of installation for many applications

OP
J

jnphoto

Awesome, thanks. I have a couple of OS X books comming soon and I will delve into them.

-John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.