• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

allofmp3.com

Reaction score
I couldn't find this anywhere on the forum, even after searching, which I'm surprised at so sorry if I've missed it.

Has anyone any views (technical or otherwise) about this site ?

Looks too good to be true... :headphone

Reaction score
coltssaturday said:
GOOD find

I'd be hesitant to give out my credit card number to some Russian music site. Their prices are outstanding, but I think I'll wait until they get PayPal as a method of payment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That site is a ripoff. You have to pay a deposit upfront, and have a balance on your account... THEN you can download songs. With some songs costing mere pennies, it would take a long time to use up your huge deposit you have to make. I much prefer the "pay as you download" method of ITMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is a risky topic for this forum, but I'll bite.

I've used AllofMP3.com in the past, never had any issues with Credit card fraud, they don't keep your number on file. The legality outside of Russia is questionable and it's very existence may be holding up Russia’s entrance into WTO. It is not "technically" illegal in the US, but is somewhat of a grey area in the law since the Russian RIAA equivalent (ROMS) claims that it is legal under Russian law and refuses to work with the RIAA.

There is pressure on Russia to change their laws to suit the WTO folks, but so far the Russians are not budging.

Good quality music, the price varies by bit-rate and so on. I would disagree with the assessment of it as a "rip off". You can pay in as much as you want to start and go from there. They have a huge selection and the ability to download higher bit-rate/quality music is a nice bonus for the price.

OP
S
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
That site is a ripoff. You have to pay a deposit upfront, and have a balance on your account... THEN you can download songs. With some songs costing mere pennies, it would take a long time to use up your huge deposit you have to make. I much prefer the "pay as you download" method of ITMS.

But...it's an upfront deposit of $10. Then with albums only costing a dollar each, why would I worry about having to buy 10 albums ?

Here in the UK I have to pay $20 to download an album - I'm looking for a catch here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surfing Charlie said:
- I'm looking for a catch here...

There isn't one.....

OP
S
Reaction score
baggss said:
This is a risky topic for this forum, but I' bite.

I've used AllodMP3.com in the past, never had any issues with Credit card fraud, they don't keep your number on file. The legality outside of Russia is questionable and it's very existence may be holding up Russia’s entrance into WTO. It is not "technically" illegal in the US, but is somewhat of a grey area in the law since the Russian RIAA equivalent (ROMS) claims that it is legal under Russian law and refuses to work with the RIAA.

There is pressure on Russia to change their laws to suit the WTO folks, but so far the Russians are not budging.

I'd assumed this was the reason I couldn't find a discussion on here. There is a lot of talk here in the UK of how to close down these sort of sites. There's a similar one for downloading movies which has just been taken down but is apparently about to resurface.

I was interested in people's opinions about the morals as well - clearly the site encourages and facilitates illegal downloading with copyright infringements and artists not getting royalties.

Making it harder for young new bands to make some money, or just free trade ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it is NOT illegal under Russian law, so technically it is doing nothing illegal in Russia The ROMS claims that they pay royalty fees to the artists, although I have seen no proof of this myself. Again, the legality outside of Russia is open to question, but the RIAA is not currently (or planning on) prosecuting US citizens who use the site, although they are pressuring the Russians to change their laws and take it down.

As for the morality of the site, that is up to each individual depending on which way your moral compass points....

Reaction score
I use allofmp3 and love it. My question here is that I am thinking of switching to an iMac, thus the reason that I am in the forums, but I am unaware of how to use the site with mac seeing that the allofmp3 explorer that is used to down load the music is only windows compatible right now. Any help here would be great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
new young bands aren't the ones losing money here, they're actually getting promoted. Personally, i'm more likely to download somethign illegaly that i've never listened to, and if i like them i'd buy their music. The bands missin gout on this are the big names...Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam....etc. etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jepreston03 said:
I use allofmp3 and love it. My question here is that I am thinking of switching to an iMac, thus the reason that I am in the forums, but I am unaware of how to use the site with mac seeing that the allofmp3 explorer that is used to down load the music is only windows compatible right now. Any help here would be great!

I've not downloaded from them in a few months, but no other program was required last time I did. The music simply downloaded via my browser (Safari) to my desktop.

Z

zap2

its illegal under USA law , and if your going to break the law i really don't see why you should pay for it? that said i use iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quoting from a site that claims to "represent the recording industry worldwide" doesn't give me any real confidence in it's legitimacy. Propaganda is propaganda and it comes from both sides. IF one considers the proprietors of Allofmp3.com to be slime balls, the record industry is just as bad, or worse.

Either way, there is no real catch. If the site were as illegal as that article would lead one to believe, it would have been shut down long ago. Maybe it's not legit in Russia as the article claims, or maybe it is, but there have been lawsuits and threats from the Russian Govt before and the site is still around.

Apparently the site mentioned above needs to update their propaganda page. Here is nice article at EndGadgte that says, in effect, AllofMp3.com can not be criminally prosecuted under existing Russian law, but could be subject to civil suits.

Here is another, somewhat lengthy, article from digital music news about AllofMP3.com and it's popularity.

The real issue with closing them down seems to be "Specifically, Russian anti-piracy law is mainly focused on physical CD- and DVD-based counterfeiting, and does not firmly address digital formats." In other words, it is a loophole in the Russian law.

Legal issues’ aside, using the service is up to each individual to decide on their own. I've never had any problems and feel no guilt for using the service on occasion.

That being said, I have downloaded significantly more content and spent much more money on iTunes and E-Music.com than at AllofMP3.com.

Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on the "I didn't think it was illegal" excuse. People tried that when they got sued by the RIAA for using p2p services, it didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Well I'll go ahead and chime in on this one, I have been using Allofmp3.com since I heard about it on TechTV, which was well over 2 1/2 years ago, I have never had a problem with them or a credit card issue. Dont get me wrong, I use itunes as well and have no problem buying from them, I prefer allofmp3.com for buying the harder to find albums... (Mainly Punk Genre), on which itunes doesnt have, or only has a parital song list.

All and all, if your going to use it, then so be it, if not then use itunes.

Reaction score
i heard about this site on the news also when i was going somewhere in my car this evening.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that in the UK it's not illegal to download copywrite files from a server for your own personal use. It only becomes illegal if you make copies and give them away/sell them, or further trade them on the internet. People using peer-to-peer (P2P), in the UK, are busted because they *upload* files while they are downloading them (ie they are filesharing), downloading from allofmp3 servers is not a form of P2P (not filesharing, because you only download the file, you are not uploading it to other users) and it would be the server operators would be liable for any copywrite infringements. What complicates issues is that in Russia, allofmp3 is still legal, whether the Russian government will buckle under the pressure of not being allowed into the WTO and do something about the laws is another thing though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO 2.16Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 80GB HDD, 15inch
go for it

i have been using allofmp3 for months now and have downloaded approx 4gb of music, it think it is brilliant, you can select the format you would like the music in and the quality, downloads are extremly fast (about 30seconds a song) and i have never had a problem with card fraud, the russian government refuse to touch the company as it is with in russian law, e.g. i i go to russia and buy albums for a couple of pounds each and bring them back to the uk!!! that is legal right?.. so as far as the russian government are conserned if they want to sell there albums with minimal profit then fine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.