A File Manager in DarwinPorts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have installed DarwinPorts and a number of my favorite old Linux apps onto my Mac. I haven't scanned the 3300+ programs in the DarwinPorts set, but I have yet to find a GUI file manager except for Nautilus. I did download and install it, but it seems crippled - it won't launch applications and it won't allow applications to be associated with file types. Being able to launch documents is a key need of a file manager, and hence the desire to find another one. I have checked for all the file managers I am aware of, but none of them except Nautilus seem to be in DarwinPorts. Does anyone know of any other ones? Thanks!

Reaction score
Looks like ports has xffm which is the filemmanager for XFCE. I have used it before but I prefer ROX-Filer for a Lightweight File Manager. Not sure if it will compile on OS X though.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks, I just found that one tonight, but I haven't tried it yet (xffm). From looking at the dependencies, it looks like you would have to build half of xfce just to try it out! You are right, I love Rox, but it isn't in DarwinPorts (is in Fink though). On my Linux machines, I run the combination of XFCE 4.2.2 and Rox Desktop. Lightweight, fast and powerful. Its a heck of a combination.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.