Library: iPhoto vs. Photoshop Elements

F

Ferdball

Okay, so I have about 16 gigs of pictures on a Maxtor 300GB external USB drive. Seems like the best place for it, right? I mean, its portable; I can hook it up to any computer; its 480 Mega-bits-per-second fast; and its better than using the C: drive.

Photoshop Elements does a nice job of making a library of it. It takes the hierarchical folder structure that my Canon software puts it in, and adds some nice metadata features. I can rate pictures from 0-5 stars, and can tag them with names or events.

The one thing that PE does that iPhoto does not, is leave well enough alone. 16GB of pictures is just fine where it is. Photoshop will go ahead and make nice little thumbnails, add metadata, and create your little library. But iPhoto will suck in the 16GB onto my little Macintosh HD, thus creating two full-sized copies.

By the way, an import of this size will take about 8 hours. Nine, if you're playing with other programs.

iMovie does the same with movie files. This can be costly since one 60 minute DV tape can take up about 13GB worth of disk space.

So what's the benefit of having these files local? Is it faster to use files on the local drive as opposed to the USB 2.0 drive? Is there a way I can have iPhoto just reference the raw file from its original source?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can put the iPhoto library wherever you want.
If you have iPhoto 6 (latest version) you can also just have it reference your current folder setup: Just go to preferences-> advanced and uncheck the 'copy to iPhoto library' checkbox.

OP
F

Ferdball

Roger that. I couldn't find the same in iMovie. Are you able to keep the raw videos off the local hard drive also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, just save the entire project to the external drive, and it should keep any video you import along with it.

OP
F

Ferdball

Ended up deleting my iPhoto library and starting over. Might do the same for iMovie. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.