Beginner...Please Help!!

M

meskue

Ok very beginner question here,

I have a unix executable file on my computer, I can't figure out how to put it into an application with an icon and file associations. I understand that you can create applications and bundles using XCode but how do i create one that simply just runs the executable when you click on the icon? Please Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've noticed you've asked several newbie questions. From what I can tell you need to buy a book. A highly praised one is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X". Get the second edition which is the current printing. Page 161 answers your question if your building a standard Cocoa app. The answer is a bit lengthy to post here, and dated for how one gets to the appropriate panel. I'm half way through this book so am (re)learning too.

If your building a command line app, I'm not sure you can associate a custom icon for it. But you can double click them and they will open in a Teminal window.

The shortest answer I can give for a Cocoa type app is; Click on the target program name in Xcode, under the Project menu select Edit Active Target <your program name>". Under the Info.plist Entries select Document Types. Name seems to be your program's name. And extension is what your looking for. Now you just need the code to write/read your file. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.