havest best ideas

N

neoneye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I do know one thing.. and that is your website is not user friendly at all.. and if your website is any indication of your OS then I would say it needs to be a whole lot more user friendly.. like Mac OS :)

OP
N

neoneye

Yes, suggestions for improvements so the homepage become more user-friendly are welcome. Agreed the look and feel could be better (I better add some CSS).

I am aware of
http://usability.gov/guidelines/index.html

However back to the question: Whats the best features in macos?

How does the init-system work ?

I have seen some mac-application which are shipped with
a GUI training program (stored as vector graphics). What is the name of this feature ?

We plan to use path-shortcuts in our file-system. Does
macos have a similar thing?
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?back=WhatsPathShortcuts

Does macos have anything similar to I/O slaves?
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?WhatsIoSlaves

--
Simon Strandgaard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Kind of a hard question.. there are so many, right now since I don't have Panther.. expose looks like something I REALLY want to try out.

2. No clue

3. Not sure what you are talking about, but my guess is that it was a Flash based training system.

4. Well MacOSX is unix so your examples that you have for unix is indeed what Mac's is also. You can make symlinks which is basically an alias or just a plain ole alias from the GUI.

5. Just remember that the Mac backbone is unix.. so all those examples for unix is what the MacOS command line does also. So as far as I know those I/O slaves.. we do not have.. kind of a kewl idea though.

I guess the kewlest thing about Mac is it's GUI and how it works with the command line, so that it is seamless and you have no clue anything is going on in the background. So that a user would never have to use the command line if they did not want to.

OP
N

neoneye

Murlyn said:
1. Kind of a hard question.. there are so many, right now since I don't have Panther.. expose looks like something I REALLY want to try out.

Are there any URL's where these features are summarized, without being salemen talk?

Murlyn said:
3. Not sure what you are talking about, but my guess is that it was a Flash based training system.

It itegrated nicely with the users selected look and feel.

Murlyn said:
4. Well MacOSX is unix so your examples that you have for unix is indeed what Mac's is also. You can make symlinks which is basically an alias or just a plain ole alias from the GUI.

5. Just remember that the Mac backbone is unix.. so all those examples for unix is what the MacOS command line does also. So as far as I know those I/O slaves.. we do not have.. kind of a kewl idea though.

Does macos have multilinks, eg a link with can point at several locations ?

I am curious to which features macos file system have?

Murlyn said:
I guess the kewlest thing about Mac is it's GUI and how it works with the command line, so that it is seamless and you have no clue anything is going on in the background. So that a user would never have to use the command line if they did not want to.

A friendly facade which tames the beast :)

--
Simon Strandgaard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say go hit the apple site and read all about it there. Do searches on Google and you'll probably find everything you want. I don't speak most of the tech speak so a lot of it I just don't know. Good luck on your OS! :)

Actually I think the best way would be to buy a mac yourself.. you might like it so much that you decide to forget creating a new OS :)

OP
N

neoneye

Murlyn said:
Actually I think the best way would be to buy a mac yourself.. you might like it so much that you decide to forget creating a new OS :)

Remember I am against of closed-source.. and its freedom which drives me :)

--
Simon Strandgaard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought Darwin was open source?

OP
N

neoneye

Murlyn said:
I thought Darwin was open source?

True.

However the GUI + many mac applications are closed source.

BTW: we are thinking about using Darwin or L4 as our kernel.

--
Simon Strandgaard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.