Multi Boot Mac

A

aspencer

Hi.

I am currently setting up a Mac for testing purposes.

I would like to set up a system with a Boot manager that lets me select a partition to boot when the Mac is powered on.

It needs to be able to boot from a list of 5 - 6 different partitions containing a different operating system.

E.g.

Partition 1: Mac OS10
Partition 2: Mac OS10.1
Partition 3: Mac OS10.2
Partition 4: Mac OS10.3
Partition 5: Mac OS10.4

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's all basically built-in:

Just install one system and then partition up the harddrive into 5 different HFS+ partitions using the included Disk Utility. (I'd name them with the corresponding OS's codename or version number so you don't get mixed up).

Then insert the cd for each OS and hold down 'C' to boot off the installation disc: Go through the normal installation routines for each one and select a different partition for each version of OSX.

Then just hold down the 'option' key when the system boots and select the OS you want to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
On any Mac made since about 1999 or so, just down the Option key at startup to choose from a list of bootable partitions. (Intel Macs with BootCamp will show both Mac OS and Windows partitions.)

Only a fairly old Mac could boot 10.0, though. 10.1 became the default in 2001(?), and no Mac made since then could boot 10.0 (Though OS 9.2 was supported on new Macs until 2003 or so.)

There's also the obvious question of why anyone would want to run 10.0 or 10.1, even for testing purposes. The early versions of OS X were so slow and limited that practically nobody used them.

OP
A

aspencer

It was just an example. In reality i will only be booting 10.2 and newer, but would like a couple of different partitions with each OS and assosiated software.

I have tried the option key, and this seems to have no effect, and the last partition set in Startup-Disk seems to boot everytime.

Reaction score
Can you create de partitions after one sistem is installed?

It's all basically built-in:
Just install one system and then partition up the harddrive into 5 different HFS+ partitions using the included Disk Utility. (I'd name them with the corresponding OS's codename or version number so you don't get mixed up).

Hi, can we do that after a OS is installed up and running?
I Have my normal Leopard 10.5.6, and would like to test SnowLeopard Server 10.6 beta. Can I create that partition now and boot from the DVD to install de 10.6 into that new partition ?

Or do I have to erase everything and install everyting again from the begining?

DataSpring (DataSpring) on Twitter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.