New member, New mac user, many questions

S

sleeperz321

This is my first post in the forum as i am new to the whole mac world. I just purchased my first mac (macbook) for my birthday. I am sure i will have many questions at first since i have never owned a mac before.

I hope to learn much information from you guys as time goes on.

My first concern is as follows:

I would like to transfer all my songs and pictures from my home pc to my mac.

Music:
How can i upload all my songs on my current ipod to my library on my mac?
I tried to just plug it in and what happened was it erased all my songs from my ipod. (i had to upload all my songs frommy pc back to my ipod afterwards.

Pictures:
how can i tranfer all my pictures from my pc to my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
First of all, you can't simply take the songs from your iPod and put them on your computer with iTunes. Search for and download a program called Senuti. That will be all you need to transfer songs from the iPod to iTunes on your new computer. Make sure you read all the info on how to do it before you jump right in. The reason why it erased all your songs when you plugged it in, is because iTunes is by default set to autosync with your iPod. If you have no songs on itunes, it tell the ipod that there are no songs on it. I, like most other people, turn this off so that I can manually import songs onto the ipod. You can only change this when your ipod is plugged in.

To transfer pictures, depending on how many, just put them on a CD or DVD and into your mac. Then double click the CD icon and highlight and drag into iPhoto as you please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Does your old PC have a network cable? If so just buy yourself an Ethernet connector and network the Mac to the PC, transferring all the music/pictures etc that you want to take over.

See here for a guide on how to set the networking up.

Good luck!

OP
T

threatsignal

Haha im also new and saving for a macbook, im selling loads of things to raise the money, i'm just fed up with unreliable windows and mac look so much more professional and the operating system is amazing and i'm really looking forward to owning one of these elegant looking beasts.

Anyway I have a question:

Will powerpc applications such as photoshop and dreamweaver run alot slower on the intel processors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
threatsignal said:
Will powerpc applications such as photoshop and dreamweaver run alot slower on the intel processors?

Yes, applications such as those will run alot slower. Some, depending on your intel setup dont run too much slower.

Reaction score
threatsignal said:

yeah the applications do run but they run under Rosetta so it will be a little slower than it runs on PPC's. But if you get the iMac with 2Gb of ram i have heard from a lot of people that it doesn't lag and works pretty good in addition to having 256 MB of vram.

OP
T

threatsignal

haha i think the iMac is a bit out of my price range lol, its either macbook or the mini, if its too slow i guess i could use bootcamp and run them on windows.

OP
T

threatsignal

oh yeah is it cheaper to buy ram seperately or to buy it when ordering the machine from apple? and if so how much cheaper

Reaction score
threatsignal said:
oh yeah is it cheaper to buy ram seperately or to buy it when ordering the machine from apple? and if so how much cheaper

yes you can get the ram cheaper from Crucial and install it yourself. i would recommend it if you can do it. Yeah and also the vram. From Apple 1Gb of ram is $300.00 and from crucial it is $195.35 so a big difference.

OP
T

threatsignal

oh yeh, also if i use iChat to webcam with AIM users, can windows users see me and will i be able to see them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
you know, all of the solutions on this thread are great, but there's an easier way with all the steps on the apple website! use your ipod as a hard drive. that's what i did, and it is ridiculously easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.