Poor screen quality?

S

superdude

My biggest disappointment with the new Macbook is the depth of viewing angle.
It is just as poor on the iBook.

Why? Just because it's their lowest end notebooks? I don't think this is the case for PC notebooks.

Even my PSP has a much wider viewing angle than my MacBook! :batman:

Reaction score
It's fair to say apple do think they can put poor quality components in their "cheaper" products. Had I thouroughly tested the iBook G4 before I bought it (I know I know, can't moan if I didn't bother to test it properly), I wouldn't have bought it as the screen is poorer than most PC notebooks at a 3rd of the price. Oh well, what can you do?

OP
S

superdude

I'm debating whether I should return my MacBook and wait for a better revision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's because of the glossy screen:

The matte-screen Macbook Pro has a much better viewing angle, the glossy nature of the screen on the macbook makes viewing from the side very tricky.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
It's because of the glossy screen:

The matte-screen Macbook Pro has a much better viewing angle, the glossy nature of the screen on the macbook makes viewing from the side very tricky.

so you would rather prefer buying a Widescreen Display than a Glossy Widescreen Display.

thanks for your opinon

OP
S

superdude

I don't think it's matter of matt or glossy, the viewing angle on the ibook and MacBook is almost identical. It's the poor quality screen Apple chooses to put on the lower end notebooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No: The iBook has a much crappier screen all around..

If you compare the viewing angle on the Macbook Pro 'matte' vs. the Macbook Pro 'Glossy' you'll notice that the viewing angle is better on the matte screen than on the glossy one...

Glossy screens look great if they're right in front of you, look at them from any sort of angle and the become unreadable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Aptmunich said:
Glossy screens look great if they're right in front of you, look at them from any sort of angle and the become unreadable...

Can you define 'any sort of angle'? I have the macbook, and I generally find that it has a pretty decent viewing angle. I've not measured it, but I'm guessing around 120 degrees. If there is a bright, spot lightsource then it can reflect and this cause problems, but in an evenly lit room I haven't had an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I agree with cazabam, I've had my Macbook for four days now and I haven't had one problem with the screen. After showing off frontrow to family on the patio (in the north carolina sun) at half brightness I really don't think that the screen is going to be a problem for me. I guess other people are just way more particular. I agree with what Phil Schiller said, Apple products never had glossy screens before because the screens are only now suitable for what they want. Compared to PCs, I think this screen is better--but that's only from glancing over at CompUSA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the shop where we have the macbook on display, the notebook is set on a table fairly low.. the macbook's display is harder to read when it's tilted back than the Macbook Pro's...

I agree: It isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, and I'm personally getting one fairly soon as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am confused. why do people look at their 'books from such a wide angle??? dont you normall just look at it straight on??? and if it isnt straight at you turn it so it is. also if it is tilted too far down tilt it up and vice versa.

i saw both the macbook and the MBP at an apple store and didnt notice any viewing angle issues with the screens.

OP
S

superdude

I don't think it's too much to ask for a viewing angle of more than 15 degrees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
superdude, is that 15 degrees vertically or horizontally? If it's vertically, then you're probably a bit under the norm but nothing major - just don't tilt the screen so much. If you mean horizontally, take it back and get a new one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i dont think superdude actually measured anything and is just guessing at 15 degrees

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
superdude ... is just guessing at 15 degrees

Well, yes, but if it's noticably that small, I just wondered in which direction. My macbook is fine for around 100 degrees horizontally (not measured ;-)) is all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
As I read through this thread, I am playing with my own MacBook; Side to side I would have to say the viewing angle is just about as far as you can see the front of the screen, so 180 I guess. The vertical viewing angle seems fine as long as I tilt the screen back, however if it is tilted too far forward the image quality suffers quickly. I don’t think that any of this is sub par by any means and if you think your unit is defective you should call Apple support or bring it into an Apple Store to compare your unit to others on display.

I would also like to throw in my $.02 on the glossy screen issue if I may. I think that it is the most beautiful computer display I have ever seen in my life. The blacks are deep and rich, the whites pop off the screen and even sitting on my porch in broad daylight I can see the screen well enough to chat/surf, and that's wearing sunglasses! Sure I have to crank the brightness up to do that, but that's why Apple made the screen with such a high max brightness.

Great job Apple, you made my first Mac a great Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I agree. I have been out on my deck (where it was sunny) showing a slideshow to about three other people other than myself. They were peering over my shoulder, so obviously they were further up and to the side of where you are supposed to be. We had no problems, I am happy with the quality of my screen.

OP
S

superdude

Try watching a video, even with the slightest 15 degrees off from any angle, you will notice the contrast is a bit off in darker areas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.