• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new chips on tuesday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Pretty cool. They'll release the chips on Tuesday, but notebooks and desktops wont have them for another year...

I wonder if Apple plans on using the Merom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah, from what I've read there is a 20% performance increase with the Merom chips, and they will be priced at about what the current Yonah chips go for. You can pick up engineering samples (ES) on ebay or on the various computer forums for about $700 right now. They work great in the Mini. I look forward to putting a 2.33ghz T7600 Merom in my Mini! This is the pricing I found on the net:

$600+ - T7600 (2.33GHz)
$423 - T7400 (2.13Ghz)
$294 - T7200 (2.00Ghz)

In other news, the 2.16ghz Yonah dropped to $469 on Newegg (from a previous $650+). Price drops usually signify a new release on the horizon. Link here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111177

Now if we could just get those 32gb Samsung flash hard drives and unlock the Mini's GPU vram cap in OS X, we'd really be talking...

OP
MAC-simus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
kaidomac said:
They work great in the Mini.

has someone done it? this means they use same socket right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
MAC-simus said:
has someone done it? this means they use same socket right?

Yes, Fugger from Xtreme Systems used an engineering sample of the T7400 I believe (2.16ghz). iirc it was basically a 20% performance increase over the 2.16ghz Yonah. He's also the one who first put the 2.16ghz T2600 Core Duo in his machine, details are here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91459

I almost bought an engineering sample of the Merom off ebay the other day (there's a guy from Malasia who sells them), but a friend with the inside scoop advised me that the 2.33ghz Meroms will be here shortly for under $700. I'd love to try one out, but I think I'm going to pick up the MacBook/iPod college student combo first so that I can replace my Windows box. The Mini is going to be an expensive DVD player replacement for my TV lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iBeldar said:
I wonder if Apple plans on using the Merom.

Mermon will likely end up in future iMacs, MacMinis and MB/MBPs. Woodcrest will lilely end up in the PM replacement line. Availability of Woodcrest will impact the appearance date of an Intel PM replacement.

Reaction score
i want the best intel next generation chip in the iMac within a year and i will buy one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.