Intel Mac Mini and Widescreen Resolutions

Reaction score
Okay, hopefully someone is in the same situation as me and has an answer.

I live in the UK, where Hi-Def TV is just taking off, so most people here still have standard def CRT widescreen TVs. These very rarely have either component or DVI/HDMI/VGA inputs, and just have composite, s-video and RGB scart inputs.

I would like to buy one of the new Intel Minis to use as a media centre, and to replace my dvd player, however I have read the following problem:

A true widescreen resolution is 1024x567 (or 567 I can't remember) and this fits widescreen CRT TVs perfectly (normal CRT TVs do not have native resolutions, unlike LCD etc). Apparently (I've never plugged an Apple computer into my TV before), OSX auto senses what kind of TV is plugged in and allows you to switch resolutions, one of which is the one mentioned above. I have read many times on many forums that this option is present on all the G4 iBooks and Minis. However....

When users plug in their new Intel Mins, the required resolutions don't exist, they only give 4:3 resolutions, not 16:9.

By the way, I'd be connecting the mini to my TV using s-video

Any ideas why, and, has anyone done this themselves and seen it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
OP
C
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
If you use DisplayconfigX you should be able to adjust the resolution independently of the display sensed by OS X...

Check out these OSXhints for more info:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060319073027371&query=resolution+tv
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060322062435819&query=resolution+tv

Thanks for that. I had read about those apps, however, I shouldn't need to use a third party app to do this when the older models did it just fine.... I'm hoping an update will sort it!!

Has anyone got a mini running on a standard CRT TV with s-video?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.