What does hide do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I know this may seem like a stupid question or that I should have searched the answer but hide is not unique enough of a keyword to give me any useful results.

What does hide do when you click an icon on the icon bar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It is like minimizing a window in Windows is. It "hides" the window, minimizing it into the dock.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Does it do anything in relation to the amount of resources that program takes up, or just minimizes it?

Reaction score
I don't really get the difference in hide and close. Seems like it is the same to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Jonnyfive said:
I know this may seem like a stupid question or that I should have searched the answer but hide is not unique enough of a keyword to give me any useful results.

What does hide do when you click an icon on the icon bar?
Its the same as the Red X button. It disappears but it still running, unlike the yellow - button which does similar but shrinks it to the right of the dock. Hide still runs but isn't visible.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent, thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Close (X) removes the current window from memory. Anything in that window is gone, unless saved.

Minimize (-) moves the window to the dock, where it is represented by a miniature thumbnail.

Hide Application Name makes all of the windows of the application invisible. They do not appear in the Dock, but they will reappear if the application's icon is clicked.

Hide is useful if you have two dozen Safari windows open, and don't want to have to click two dozen minimize buttons or have two dozen little thumbnails in the dock. Minimize is nice when you just want to get one window out of your way.

X

xthisisRomancex

not exatly... when you hit the red x it closes that window but still leaves the app open.. when you use the "HIDE" simply hides the whole app.
ex. if you hit hide on firefox in the dock and you are visiting mac-forums when you click on the firefox icon it will open back up to mac-forums... if you hit the red x and then you click the firefox icon it opens to a fresh page.

X

xthisisRomancex

xthisisRomancex said:
not exatly... when you hit the red x it closes that window but still leaves the app open.. when you use the "HIDE" simply hides the whole app.
ex. if you hit hide on firefox in the dock and you are visiting mac-forums when you click on the firefox icon it will open back up to mac-forums... if you hit the red x and then you click the firefox icon it opens to a fresh page.

EDIT: ya beat me to it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.