new to mac + web developement

A

ajthornton

I know that this is going to be a weird post. But as stated I am very new to macs. I have some experience with Linux and years of experience with PCs. I have been developing websites for many years and finally came around to the fact that windows is not working for me. Anyway here is the deal. I need to know how to 'host' sites on my mac, strictly for development. In a linux system you can start the httpd and load your files into the /var/www/html folder and you could view all of the scripts, etc. I need to know how to do this as well as load mySQL and phpmyadmin onto the mac. Any help would be great.

thanks
ajthornton

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

go to system prefs// sharing // turn on personal web sharing. this is how you turn the web sharing on

you load everything in you "Sites" folder

OP
A

ajthornton

xthisisRomancex said:
go to system prefs// sharing // turn on personal web sharing. this is how you turn the web sharing on

you load everything in you "Sites" folder

Thank you xthisisRomancex for that. Does anyone know about the phpmyadmin and mySQL?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
just put phpMyAdmin in the same folder, your default username is root and no password.

You'll probably want to make yourself familiar with http://www.entropy.ch since Marc has everything spelled out really well on his site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
You can download an installer for mySQL off the mySQL site, and phpmyadmin works fine as far as I know, but you'll need to turn on PHP (or just get the latest installer package which will do it for you, I think).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.