Avi/Toast problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
This should have been simple enough, try and burn an avi to DVD using Toast 7. And it was, I left it encoding/burning overnight and the DVD was ready in the morning, except when I tried it on my DVD player it was all black and white. I tried it with a couple of different avi files but the result was always the same. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Are there any other methods for burning an avi to play on DVD? :dummy:

Thanks in advance!

C

caveatipss

UncSki1218 said:
nice job searching caveat...welcome.

Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
caveatipss said:
Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.

Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard

C

caveatipss

Graphite said:
Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard

But the description does indeed clearly say it is ok to ask questions! How am I wrong in saying that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And for his next trick, Graphite will ban caveatipss...
yes.gif

C

caveatipss

Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Don't be mad, just move forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
caveatipss said:
Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.

It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.

C

caveatipss

techster82 said:
It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.

And what will be done with posts which confuse the word "provoke" with "invoke?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
caveatipss said:

Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe

C

caveatipss

Sobe said:
Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe

Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
caveatipss said:
Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?

Not every post is in regards to the same question.

In fact, a lot of them pertain to recent news, "This mac or this mac" questions, "upgrade ideas", etc.

But if the question is technical in nature, it wouldn't kill the person to search before posting.

At least I don't think it would :confused:

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, well... umm, I certainly did not intend to start a small war here :) I just asked about this B&W thing because I couldn't find anything in the forums about that.

I did find lots of help on other things, and I've learned so much searching this forums. From torrents, to widgets, Mac The Ripper to Toast. I don't know any other Mac users so this has been my lifeline whenever I've been stuck. I find what I need here, and most of the time I've only had to search a bit to find what I needed.

I researched how to go about this avi to DVD process, there are lots of threads about how to go about it, and I tried them, the results as I mentioned earlier were all B&W. I wanted to ask before I keep wasting any more DVDs, as they are not cheap.

If there is a thread with an answer to my question, I've been unable to find it, and I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys! :)

Reaction score
Caveat: Please stop making every thread a flame-caveat thread. But to answer your question in the overclock-thread:

It's wrong to answer a question already asked because it fills up the board.
NOT every question ever has already been asked, many users have very specific situations that are unique and need help respectively. Furthermore, the Apple product diaspora will develop and thus more questions or topics will evolve. If a newbie comes to this forum he's likely to find his answers in the search, and that's what the forum's for. It's a database, but not a dead one. It can grow if necesssary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I've been itching to say sumthing but most has already been covered so I wont add an additional post...

Back to the OP. I'm no video guru but what codecs are being used in the AVI your problem is probably some improper transcoding. What I mean is your source file might be something that Toast doesnt full support. I would try and pre transcode the files with FFmpegX then send them off to Toast. I know very time consuming... sorry thats all i got.

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IronMac said:
I've been itching to say sumthing but most has already been covered so I wont add an additional post...

Back to the OP. I'm no video guru but what codecs are being used in the AVI your problem is probably some improper transcoding. What I mean is your source file might be something that Toast doesnt full support. I would try and pre transcode the files with FFmpegX then send them off to Toast. I know very time consuming... sorry thats all i got.

When I read your post I remembered I had lots of problems playing DiVX on Quicktime. I downloaded the player and codec from their site but I've only been able to play DiVX files on their player and not on Quicktime. Maybe it has something to do with my mac being intel? Anyway, transcoding sounds like a good idea. I've never used FFmpegX, but I'll go download now and give it a try.

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yeah post back with your results I'm sure there are some others who could benefit from you experiments.

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well after another big search, I did managed to fix my DiVX codec problem. Now Quicktime plays those files without problem. I thought this could perhaps fix the situation with Toast, alas no joy, I burned yet another DVD and the results were the same black and white as all the others (The sound is always so clear though ;) ).

I am almost positive it's a problem with Toast specifically, because when I play the DVDs in the dvd player even the dvd menu shows black and white.

Will keep looking for the answer. At least now I know it's not the DiVX codec :) .

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooooo, it turns out I am a dummy. On Toast>Preferences>General the TV Standard was set to PAL instead of NTSC! Changing this to NTSC quickly solved the problem of the black and white image. :)

Thanks again for the help IronMac, you're always there for us newbies! At least this will remain in the forum in case some other noob has the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.