• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Been Looking for MacWorld Info...

S

southside

I have been looking for MacWorld news... so far saw a cool DUAL G4 EMAC with a gig of RAM, 80 Gig HD, and 4X superdrive - $989 at www.smalldog.com ... and the Apple Web site store is updating their information - so figure that we might see reflection of what Steve Jobs is saying...

can't wait as I am soon going to pull the trigger on a PowerBook (I think - depends on the MacWorld news)...

BrewSkij

OP
C

CyCo_CyBorG

southside said:
I have been looking for MacWorld news... so far saw a cool DUAL G4 EMAC with a gig of RAM, 80 Gig HD, and 4X superdrive - $989 at www.smalldog.com ... and the Apple Web site store is updating their information - so figure that we might see reflection of what Steve Jobs is saying...

can't wait as I am soon going to pull the trigger on a PowerBook (I think - depends on the MacWorld news)...

BrewSkij
dual eMac ? i don't think so

OP
S

southside

my bad - wrong info...

yeah... not a DUALEE... must have been wishful thinking, but I coulda swore that last evening the advertisement said dual G4... sorry for the misinformation... can't wait to see what the Apple Store updates with... will they lower PowerBook prices, or are they selling too many at current price point to do that?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here are some of the high lights:

# Mayer playing guitar. [13:29 ET]
# Jobs making music.. :) [13:27 ET]
# Jobs demos the 1000 professional audio loops. [13:24 ET]
# Demoing the different software instruments. [13:19 ET]
# John Mayer comes on stage to help demo GarageBand. [13:17 ET]
# Play with any USB or MIDI keyboard. [13:17 ET]
# Musical instrument and recording studio that digitally mix up to 64 tracks, play over 50 instruments, over 1000
professional audio loops, record live audio performances, over 200 pro quality audio effects, vintage or modern
guitar amps... [13:16 ET]
# GarageBane announced -- pro-music tool for everyone. [13:14 ET]
# Jobs demoing new transitions. [13:11 ET]
# iDVD 4 announced: 20 new Hollywood quality themes, enhanced menus, enhanced slideshows, pro-encoding
added, and Apple upped the time on a DVD to two hours. [13:09 ET]
# Direct from iMovie to iDisk/.Mac clip sharing. [13:08 ET]
# Loud applause for the new title effects. [13:07 ET]
# New features include the ability to trim clips right in the timeline, new alignment guides, iSight import, improved
titles, and improved sharing. [13:06 ET]
# iMovie 4 announced and now demoed. [13:04 ET]
# iPhoto book and print order available in Japan next month and in Europe in March. [13:03 ET]
# Demoing Rendevous photo sharing... [13:00 ET]
# New Slideshow features include new effects, playlists of music for background, not just one song... [12:59 ET]
# Demoing new features of iPhoto 4 mentioned previously. [12:57 ET]
# New Effects: Improved Sepia. [12:55 ET]
# Jobs demoing iPhoto 4... scrolling and resizing speed very impressive. [12:54 ET]
# Includes iTunes 4.2; iPhoto4 supports up to 25,000 photos with zero waiting, time based organization, Smart
Albums, enhanced slideshow, Rendevous photosharing. [12:52 ET]
# iLife 04 launched. "Like Microsoft Office for the rest of your life." [12:50 ET]
# Going over Apple/Pepsi promotion. Kicks off during SuperBowl -- Pepsi will be running a SuperBowl ad. [12:49 ET]
# Apple adding 12,000 Classical tracks being added iTunes. iTunes is now the largest online music store in the
world -- 500,000 songs. [12:48 ET]
# As reported first on MacMinute, BillBoard Hot 100 charts being added to iTunes. Available today. [12:47 ET]
# iTunes Essentials have done very well. [12:46 ET]
# Top spender has spent $25,500 on the iTMS. 50,000 audio books sold on the iTMS to-date and over 100,000
gift certificates. [12:45 ET]
# Neilson Soundshare - 70 percent market share of legal downloads. Jobs: "Fells great to get above that 5 percent,
doesn't it?" [12:44 ET]
# Moves on to iTunes: 30 million songs purchased and downloaded from the iTMS -- Songs per week for Dec. -
close to 1.9 million songs a week. [12:43 ET]
# Qualification with several fibre channel switching, Certification for Windows 2003 Server, Linux, more. Pricing:
1TB $5999 1.75 $7499 ($3 per GB). [12:42 ET]
# Xserve RAID -- 3U storage system, added 3.5TB of online storage -- 30% increase, SFP connection RAID set
slicing - up to 16 per RAID. [12:41 ET]
# Xserve G5 will ship in February in three versions: 2GHz $2,999, Dual 2GHz $3,999, Compute Node Dual 2GHz -
\
$2999. [12:39 ET]
# G5 Xserve announced today. Has two front air vents, 1U form factor, single and dual 2GHZ G5, ECC memory
ddr400 - up to 8GB, up to 750GB of storage, full port connectivity, ship with Panther Server (unlimited client
license). [12:37 ET]
# Jobs: "They looked at everything -- Intel, AMD, and more -- but they fell in love with the G5 and Mac OS X". [12:37 ET]
# Showing promo Virginia Tech video. [12:34 ET]
# As reported on MacMinute, the VT supercomputer ranks 3rd fastest in the world. [12:33 ET]
# "We had to **** off a few other customers," says Jobs, (in order to get VT the 1,100 dual G5s they needed). [12:33 ET]
# "Virginia Tech did an amazing thing." Jobs talking about the super-computer. [12:32 ET]
# Jobs moves on the the G5. [12:31 ET]
# Microsoft announces "Technology Guarantee Program." Buy Office X now and get Office 2004 free when it is
released in the Spring. [12:30 ET]
# "A simpler way to manage your projects." A new Project Viewer, which allows user sharing. [12:27 ET]
# Now showing the new Entourage. [12:27 ET]
# Excel will auto-format in Page Layout View for the best looking output. [12:27 ET]
# Now discussing the new Excel -- Page Layout View. [12:26 ET]
# Allows audio annotations in Word. [12:25 ET]
# Word Notebook View "makes it easy to take notes on your Mac." It looks like an actual lined notebook. [12:23 ET]
# Mac first features in Office 2004 being demoed. [12:22 ET]
# Microsoft Office 2004 announced. Rox **, GM for the MS BU talking about the suite. Notes that Word, Excel and
PowerPoint were all available for the Mac first -- before Windows. [12:21 ET]
# FCE 2.0 is available now for $299 -- $99 upgrade. [12:20 ET]
# FCE 2.0 being demoed. [12:17 ET]
# Real time filters and effects based on Final Cut Pro 4 technology. [12:17 ET]
# Jobs launches Final Cut Express 2.0. "Pro video editing for everyone." Optimized for Panther and G5. [12:16 ET]
# 10,000 native apps now on Mac OS X. [12:16 ET]
# "Transition is basically now over," says Jobs. [12:15 ET]
# 9.3 million active Mac OS X users -- 40% of Mac users -- 10 million active users by the end of
this quarter. [12:14 ET]
# Showing off Panther -- Expose, iChat AV, new Finder, Faster User switching, more. [12:13 ET]
# "Microsoft is copying us again -- it feels great," says Jobs. [12:13 ET]
# Apple giving away free "1984" poster at keynote. [12:12 ET]
# Apple is working on some great Mac products this year. "It will be a great 20th Anniversary year,"
says Jobs. [12:12 ET]
# Huge round of applause from the audience. [12:10 ET]
# Jobs talks about Apple's 1984 ad -- now showing it to attendees. [12:09 ET]
# Apple first to bring 32-bit processing and now first 64-bit. [12:09 ET]
# Jobs shows an old Microsoft ad for the Mac. [12:08 ET]
# Jobs discussing 20th Anniversary of the Macintosh. "The Mac came out and changed everything." [12:08 ET]
# Over 60,000 viewers connected via broadband from over 100 countries watching the keynote. [12:06 ET]
# Apple CEO Steve Jobs takes the stage. [12:06 ET]
# Apple Store is presently offline. [12:01 ET]

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
# Showing iLife 04 promo video. [13:43 ET]

# $49 MIDI keyboard from MAudio announced. [13:43 ET]

# GarageBand add-ons: JamPack (includes over 100 more software instruments, over 2000 more loops, 15 more guitar amps) $99 - January 16. [13:42 ET]

# Will be in stores January 16 -- runs on both Panther and Jaguar. [13:41 ET]

# iLife 04 is $49 and free with every new Mac. [13:39 ET]

# Jobs talks price - compares Windows-based pricing (over $300 and not even close to iLife). [13:39 ET]

# Has easy export to iTunes feature. [13:37 ET]

OP
S

southside

RMAN - great notes - THANKS!!

the new ILIFE looks and sounds really great! Love that they had Sheryl Crow (spelling?) talking about how good it is... I can't wait to get my hands on my brand spankn new (and VERY FIRST) Mac - think it will be a 15" Powerbook, Superdrive, 512 M RAM on one chip, Apple Care Protection, .MAC...

yeah, with GarageBand - maybe I will realize my full potential as a Rock&Roll musician - lead guitarist... or was that just one of my wild_ass fantasies?

SouthSide

rman said:
# Showing iLife 04 promo video. [13:43 ET]

# $49 MIDI keyboard from MAudio announced. [13:43 ET]

# GarageBand add-ons: JamPack (includes over 100 more software instruments, over 2000 more loops, 15 more guitar amps) $99 - January 16. [13:42 ET]

# Will be in stores January 16 -- runs on both Panther and Jaguar. [13:41 ET]

# iLife 04 is $49 and free with every new Mac. [13:39 ET]

# Jobs talks price - compares Windows-based pricing (over $300 and not even close to iLife). [13:39 ET]

# Has easy export to iTunes feature. [13:37 ET]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.