OS 9.1 and IP-Over-1394

• Thread starter SephirothsNight
  • Start date
S

SephirothsNight

I am trying to network an iMac (with OS 9.1) that my friend gave me to my windows XP box via Firewire. I know Windows XP will do IP-Over-1394, but is there a way to do it on 9.1? I can't afford to upgrade to 10.3 as of yet, so I was hoping someone might know of a good way or cheap/free program that would allow me to do IP-Over-1394 on OS 9.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

(P.S This is the first Mac I have ever owned, so I am not too terribly savy when it comes to them. That's why I got it... so I could learn, so please don't be too harsh on me.)

- Dustin K.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Well,..

Is there a reason not to use an xover cable or ethernet in general?

My answer is I don't know abut IP over FW in OS 9.

OP
S

SephirothsNight

Mostly... it's because I am cheap.

Here is my setup. I have 1 windows box, 1 Linux box, and a Mac with OS 9.1. The windows box has a wireless network card, and that is bridged with with the ethernet adapter, which in turn runs to my Linux box. I only have 1 ethernet card in each computer. So I thought I could add the firewire port on my Windows box into the bridge, thus saving me money.

So to recap... I am cheap.

- Dustin K.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you were planning on spending money on a FW card for your PC, then why not just get a router instead and have a proper network?
*shrug*

OP
S

SephirothsNight

D3v1L80Y said:
If you were planning on spending money on a FW card for your PC, then why not just get a router instead and have a proper network?
*shrug*

Actually, my PC has had a firewire card in it for over a year. That wasn't an expense I was going to incur. As for the router, I have one, but it is in the other end of the house (where the cable modem is).

I can always just use the ethernet from my Linux box on my Mac and just trade it back and forth. I guess this was more of a "I wonder if it can be done" type thing. I hope to upgrade to 10.3 soon, and therefore it won't be a problem. I was just looking for a more immediate fix, and thought I might learn something in the process.

OP
S

SephirothsNight

Nevermind. I broke down and bought a copy of OS X 10.3 off of eBay. It will be here soon, and then the problem will be moot. Thanks for the input though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.