E-mail Set-up Help Requested

L

LaineBelle024

I am trying to set up Mac's mail client 1.3.11 with my newly acquired Adelphia cable internet.

Both the incoming and outgoing mail servers are supposed to be and ARE mail.adelphia.net

I have entered in all of the details regarding password and e-mail and am receiving all mail sent to me, but am still receiving error messages when I try to send an email.

My outgoing server port is set at 25.

I formerly used Earthlink DSL as my ISP, and since I am keeping my Earthlink account active (solely for e-mail only) until I get all the kinks worked out of Adelphia, I currently have both mail accounts set up.

I can send an email using my earthlink e-mail, but when I choose to send via Adelphia, I get the following error...

"The server “smtpauth.adelphia.net” cannot be contacted on port 25.

You can try to send using a different server. All messages will use this server until you quit or change your network settings."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
So, to make sure I understand:
You are connected to the Adelphia Network when you're trying to send outgoing Adelphia mail? The error message almost looks as though you're connected to Earthlink, and are trying to send via Adelphia's outgoing mail server, which would seem consistent with the error message. In some cases an alternative SMTP port will work (if they allow them), but if you *are* connected to Adelphia's network when sending outgoing mail, then the message doesn't make a lot of sense. Perhaps try enabling SSL? And, it's puzzling that the rejection message references smtpauth.adelphia.net, when you've indicated you're sending via mail.adelphia.net. You might also want to try simply using "mail" as the outgoing server name.

Mark

OP
L

LaineBelle024

I'm almost positive that the error I am encountering is due to trying to access both earthlink and adelphia using the same client. I just decided to bite the bullet and set it up on my other Mac, and it's working fine off of that one. (Also operating system OS X 10.4, e-mail client 1.3.11- But it wasn't never set up for earthlink.)

Hopefully as soon as I am finished with Earthlink and delete that mail account, my problems will be resolved.

Thanks for all of your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.