Slow startup in 10.3.2 (noob)

J

jonnyturner

Hi guys,

running a brand spanking new ibook G4 933 with panther...

Just wondering, whats the normal time that I should expect my lappy to boot in? i dont have anything to compare it to as i am a recent switcher but it seems pretty slow to me.

it takes around 90 seconds after the startup tone (when you press the button)...is this normal? the screens that takes the longest is the grey screen with the picture of the apple.

any ideas?

OP
F

furfurfur

Hiya

I had the same problem, also an OSX newbie. Found the solution from www.macfixit.com.

Basically there's a missing file in 10.3.2 which causes it to be really slow starting up. To fix it, do this:

Open Terminal and execute the following commands:

#cd /usr/sbin
#sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl .

Then reboot twice, and after that you will notice a much improved startup time.

OP
J

jonnyturner

hey thanks man, ill give that a go in a minute or 2 ;) so how fast should it boot do you think?

OP
K

kena

Give or take 60 seconds...

jonnyturner said:
hey thanks man, ill give that a go in a minute or 2 ;) so how fast should it boot do you think?

......Depending on how many items you got in your start up.
Ken A

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.