Can you run Mac on a Win 2000 computer

S

siavoshah

Is it just me or can you run Mac on Windows 2000? If you can please give info and I'll be happy :mac:. If not I'll be sad :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 2000 is an Operating system. It will not run on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you mean can your Run Mac OSX (the operating system) on your PC that currently runs Windows 2000 (an operating system), the answer is no. You need to buy a Machine from Apple.

Reaction score
Yes some people have done it, but you have to know it that it is illegal as some people said above.

OP
L

Logan

It's also illegal to install Windows on multiple machines.

In fact, when you read Microsoft's EULA, if you change motherboards to upgrade your system, your copy of Windows is now considered a pirated copy. You are supposed to have 1 copy for every mothboard you own.

I try to stay with the law, but when it is rediculous like Window's motherboard policy, or OS X (a legal copy of OS X) being illegal on a PC machine, these types of policies seem to want to be broken.

My 2 cents on the topic.

OP
A

Asoulintime1982

But you can transfer a retail copy of windows to your new machine. You just cna not do this with OEM Branded copies.

Reaction score
what about microsoft office, can it be used on more than one machine? Is there anyway to do that?

Reaction score
poohfighter said:
what about microsoft office, can it be used on more than one machine? Is there anyway to do that?

i think you can do that, but it is still ILLEGAL.

OP
L

Logan

Went to google.com and typed: "Microsoft Office EULA", then pressed the I'm feeling Lucky button:
(Link: HERE)
I bought a Retail Copy of Office and installed it on my PC. Can I install it on my kid's PC, too?
No. The EULA does not allow you to install Office on more than PC. If you want to install Office on your kid's PC, you need to purchase another copy of Office.

Another quote from that site you may find interesting:

What do you mean by original machine? Does that mean I can't upgrade other hardware like my video card? Can I add more RAM?
When Office is installed it creates a "numerical profile" of that machine. While the exact details of what makes up that "profile" are a closely held secret of Microsoft, it is designed such that you can upgrade the your computer without invalidating the "profile". That is, you can add RAM, put in new video cards, hard drives, and all other hardware without invalidating the "profile". The general rule of thumb is that you can upgrade up to three hardware components at a time without invalidating the key. If you do very substantial hardware changes, you may need to reregister Office with Microsoft. To do this, use the telephone registration option, so that you can talk with a real live MS employee. They are quite nice and accommodating. They will give you an activation code that will work.

Reaction score
but if you arent connected to the internet, how would a retail copy of office know whether or not it has been installed on another computer before?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
poohfighter said:
but if you arent connected to the internet, how would a retail copy of office know whether or not it has been installed on another computer before?

Piracy is not ALLOWED on Mac Forums. No discussion of Piracy in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
dtravis7 said:
Piracy is not ALLOWED on Mac Forums. No discussion of Piracy in any way.

I'm actually quite suprised a mod has not locked this thing yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.