iPod design?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I don't know about anybody else on these forums, but it seems to me that the iPod design might be getting a little tired. I mean, yeah, it's still cool, but the design is no longer revolutionary. I saw an ad for a sansung (the z5, i think), and I actually seriously considered getting it to replace my aging iPod. Then, of course, I started thinking rationally again, but it was scary. I prefered the design of the samsung thing to the current iPods, and I was thinking that for the next model(s) of iPods, it might be nice to have them be a more "Powerbook/MBP" colour scheme (like metallic) as opposed to what they have now. Oh yeah, the samsung z5 website was http://www.samsungfreedom.com/z5/. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
looks cool, but Apple still has that prestige with the iPod, and also they were one of the first, if not the first, to create an mp3 player and now an mp4 player, so they know what they're doing.

Definately I'd choose an iPod over that Samsung, but it still isn't bad.

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right, but do you think they need to update the design?

and they weren't the first by far, they were jsut the first to make an easy to use, simple and efficient one that would be useable to the mass public.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
i think it looks ugly :(

besides, it's copying the ipod's design with the screen on top, the controls on the bottom and the relative size, etc. just another wannabe.

Reaction score
solarith said:
i think it looks ugly :(

besides, it's copying the ipod's design with the screen on top, the controls on the bottom and the relative size, etc. just another wannabe.

It's true, all players now are just a slight deviation on the ipod design. With all the designers and resources in the world you'd think someone besides Apple would come up with something that's both pleasing and easy to use. To date, in my opinion, nobody has come close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ShillAT said:
it might be nice to have them be a more "Powerbook/MBP" colour scheme (like metallic) as opposed to what they have now.
Well, the PowerBook/MBP color scheme is for the professional, business customer. That is who those models are geared towards.
The iPod is geared toward the consumer market, not the professional, hence it matches the "i"line of merchandise (iBook, iMac..etc). If they ever made an iPod product geared towared the professional, then I would see where it would behoove them to change the color. Until then, leave it the way it is.

Oh yeah, the samsung z5 website was http://www.samsungfreedom.com/z5/. What do you guys think?
I think it looks like any other iPod copy-cat out there. Nothing special.
And especially since their largest model is only 4 GB, that doesn't come anywhere near the 60GB iPod. If anyone needs to update their design and features it would be the Samsung model.

S

skateit12

ShillAT said:
I don't know about anybody else on these forums, but it seems to me that the iPod design might be getting a little tired. I mean, yeah, it's still cool, but the design is no longer revolutionary. I saw an ad for a sansung (the z5, i think), and I actually seriously considered getting it to replace my aging iPod. Then, of course, I started thinking rationally again, but it was scary. I prefered the design of the samsung thing to the current iPods, and I was thinking that for the next model(s) of iPods, it might be nice to have them be a more "Powerbook/MBP" colour scheme (like metallic) as opposed to what they have now. Oh yeah, the samsung z5 website was http://www.samsungfreedom.com/z5/. What do you guys think?
it must be a good design if all these other companies are trying to copy it. I wouldn't mind a few tweeks to it but id like it to remain relatively the same.

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so nobody thinks there should be any cosmetic (so nothing else) changes made? I do think that the design needs to be updated....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
ShillAT said:
so nobody thinks there should be any cosmetic (so nothing else) changes made? I do think that the design needs to be updated....
I agree the iPod could use some updating and more features. We all love it for its simplicity and intergration but the fact remains that these other companies aren't always gonna get it wrong. Evidence
This thing with the right marketing could be a serious contender. If it was itunes (OS X) compatible I would be all over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I think it could be changed a little bit, but you don't change something that has become a symbol in america. Everybody knows it. If later down the line the ipod starts getting some serious challengers then you must to try and reinvent yourself. But now, I like how all these companies come out with so many different looking models and the ipod just sits there staying generally the same and beating every single one of them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
D3v1L80Y said:
If they ever made an iPod product geared towared the professional, then I would see where it would behoove them to change the color.

PowerPod :dummy:

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Not everyone is copying the iPod... Would it be fair to say that Apple was copying Sony by making any portable music player ?

And, I had an mp3 player long before iPod came out. Granted, it was about the size of one of those language dictionaries (You know the medium sized big ones ?), and had crappy button and battery control, but it still was cool. There were mp3 players before the iPod, just to make this clear @ BlindingLights (I think.)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think like any classic design, you become "tired" of it after a while, especially when it is as ubiquitous as the iPod is.

But I trust apple to evolve the design when the time is right, they are fairly good at reinvigorating their products design-wise (iMacG3-> iMacG4-> iMacG5, PowermacG3/G4/G5)...

Reaction score
everybody is making their own iPod copying apple. some of them like sony, microsoft going with some Japanese company, rumors, and now Samsung, and i think Toshiba is copying too with some name called Gigabeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
The Old VW Beetle didn't change much and it lasted many a year, so I'd say make performance/memory improvements internally and slight changes externally.

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dunno; i think that they are so common nowadays that they lose the pizazz and panache that they used to have; they are almost boring (augh I can't believe I just said that!).....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.