Lightroom VS Aperature

M

mstruvdisaster

Anybody have experiences with either/or, both? How do they compare? I heard Aperature takes alot of memory? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first mac and i'm a photographer that needs a good program to manage 60 gigs of photos. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Lightroom is still in Beta.

That noted, I'd say Aperture still has it beat currently, but based only on stability. Lightroom has a few more features, I like the layout better, and it seems to run faster on my Powerbook. The white balance, color correction, and effects seem to look cleaner, too.

So, in my opinion, once Lightroom is stable and released, I think it will be better than Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I really like Lightroom, although Im a bit worried to see what the cost will be, but I doubt it will be more than Aperture which like was mentioned above.. has some serious hardware requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Yeah... I've tried both... as of now Aperture has the win. But that could change if Apple doesn't work out some of it's shortcomings quickly.

Overall nobody can say whether Lightroom will beat Aperture in the long run... Apple has shown they can get serious about their pro software. FCP killed Adobe Premiere on the Mac platform and Aperture could easily do the same... It's just a matter of how bad Apple wants it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
At the risk of starting a religious war here (please, no), doesn't Photoshop CS2 handle pretty much everything Aperture can, or am I missing the boat? I thought the BIG thing about Aperture was its ability to deal with RAW format transparently. I believe that CS2 does this too, and at about the same price, it would seem to me that it delivers more value overall. Opinions? ...yes, I am a Photoshop user!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Nah no war.. you're comparing apples with oranges here :) Photoshop is a photo editing tool, while Lightroom and Aperture are photo management tools and they do nodestructive editing which Photoshop definitely does. Photoshop and Lightroom are completely different tools :)

OP
M

mstruvdisaster

Murlyn said:
Nah no war.. you're comparing apples with oranges here :) Photoshop is a photo editing tool, while Lightroom and Aperture are photo management tools and they do nodestructive editing which Photoshop definitely does. Photoshop and Lightroom are completely different tools :)

what he said. How long do these beta's usually take to fully develope? I'm just curious when i should anticipate the release of aperature. So far I love the features lightroom has, but then again i've never personally used aperature so I can't really compare the tow.

Reaction score
Just found this thread and I just recently converted to a macbook from a dell so I have finally made the switch. Growing up on windows and doing photography all I know is light room and I can navigate quite well with it. I received the aperture program and I really do not like it compared to light room.... before I fully give it up and switch back to light room I wanted to see if anyone else thinks that aperture is a better product that light room and why is that?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just found this thread and I just recently converted to a macbook from a dell so I have finally made the switch. Growing up on windows and doing photography all I know is light room and I can navigate quite well with it. I received the aperture program and I really do not like it compared to light room.... before I fully give it up and switch back to light room I wanted to see if anyone else thinks that aperture is a better product that light room and why is that?

This has been discussed Ad Nauseum. Do a forum search using the search tools and you will see.

Bottomline IMO, you like Lightroom and are used to it, stick with it. No reason at all to switch to Aperture. I use Aperture BTW.

Reaction score
yeah I did a few searches for threads and that is how I found this thread. If anyone finds them I would greatly appreciate a link. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Agree with Razor. I've used both since their inception, but have always liked LR more. As for why, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Some feel they can develop a better workflow with one vs the other, so that's up to you to decide which.

As for the technical side of things, I can say for sure that LR uses a MUCH better noise removal algorithm and that the colors produced are a lot more accurate when rendering from a color profile.

On the other hand, Aperture mops the floor with LR's head when it comes to its cloning tool. I also much prefer LR's cataloging and file structure capabilities.

Doug

Reaction score
Yeah thanks ill probally go back with Lightroom I just wanted to know if there were any other advantages of using Aperature since it is a new program for me and I got a free copy from a friend. I love light room I have been working with 2.7 I see that 4.0 is out now so im sure there are some major upgrades as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah thanks ill probally go back with Lightroom I just wanted to know if there were any other advantages of using Aperature since it is a new program for me and I got a free copy from a friend. I love light room I have been working with 2.7 I see that 4.0 is out now so im sure there are some major upgrades as well.

Please take note:

Since you're a new member to our forums, I'm going to just mention this to you regarding our guidelines (which you can read in my sig).....

There is no such thing as a "free copy" of Aperature. What you have is a pirated copy. It's nice to have friends but let's remember that Apple is trusting you to do the right thing. Do yourself a favor and destroy the copy of Aperature and buy Light Room from Amazon.com. LINK

Thanks for your cooperation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.