Safari

E

erx11

Anyone know why when I open Safari, the window is not centered? I have tried moving and stretching, and it works for the first time I open the program. However, if I open another window, that window is over to the right and I need to move it. Of course, this problem would be solved if I had the option to always have a new page open in a new Tab, but I don't think Safari has that option yet. Anyone who has any tips for a new Mac user (I am using the new G4 ibook at 1Ghz) I would love to hear from. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks.

OP
C

CMBlechar

After reading your post I tried my hardest to get my window to open up differently than how it was when I closed it.

Are you saying that if you resize your screen to fit your screen or to be directly cented, when you close Safari it opens in a completly different position? For me if I made the screen 2 inches by 2 inches at the top left of my screen it would open that same way if I close it or even quit it.

As for the tab you can start a new tab and just type in the adress in the adress bar if you right click or ctrl click in the open tab space. It will open a new tab with out a new page, so just type it in or paste it in or click something off your bookmark bar.

If that doesn't help then I hope someone else has better advice.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That's the advice I would have given him.. Plus I would have stated that if you open up a window and then open up another window.. if it opened up exactly where you opened your last window, it would hide your first window, so by default, all windows, safari, and most of all your programs that have free floating windows will always open up slightly lower and to the right so that you can see both windows...

I could have confused what you were saying though :)

OP
W

Wizard

I have the same iBook, and what he means is when you open Safari, it pops up in an 800x600 window to the top left of the screen. I don't think there is a way to default its size to full-screen, but if you find a page that's really wide and long, you can go to that page and hit the (+) button and it will go to full screen.

OP
E

erx11

Murlyn said:
That's the advice I would have given him.. Plus I would have stated that if you open up a window and then open up another window.. if it opened up exactly where you opened your last window, it would hide your first window, so by default, all windows, safari, and most of all your programs that have free floating windows will always open up slightly lower and to the right so that you can see both windows...

I could have confused what you were saying though :)

Thanks to all for the replies. To clarify, when I open a new Safari window (or it opens when I click on a link) that window is centered, but it is over to the left by half an inch. I never experienced these problems in IE, and I have tried setting the windows with adjustment to no avail. It's just annoying.
Regarding the Tab issue, it would be nice if you could set Safari's preferences to open in a new Tab when you click on a link (from an email link or web page link), and not just when you click a Bookmark or manually type in an address.
Hopefully with 1.2 (WHEN? This month?), these issues will be solved. Thanks again all! Sure I'll have more questions in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Safari automatically does that so that you can click back to the other window easier.

as for the tabs what i do is just hold down the apple button when i click and that opens them in tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
OP
S

shadov

Wizard said:
I have the same iBook, and what he means is when you open Safari, it pops up in an 800x600 window to the top left of the screen. I don't think there is a way to default its size to full-screen, but if you find a page that's really wide and long, you can go to that page and hit the (+) button and it will go to full screen.
Open Safari, resize it to full screen by dragging bottom right corner, close Safari. From now on it'll default to full screen.

I'd like to have option to make pages that normally open in new window to open in new tab instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
shadov said:
I'd like to have option to make pages that normally open in new window to open in new tab instead.

just hold down the apple key when you are clicking links and that does it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.