Problem(?) when turning on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Hey everyone, I've encountered an issue recently that has me slightly concerned. I just got my powerbook back from the apple store about a week ago, it was having the LCD replaced due to the horizontal line problem in the last gen PB's, and twice I've turned it on and instead of booting up it beeped three times and the light flashed on and off then just stayed on. I turned it off then back on and it booted normally both times. The first was after getting it home from the apple store (I powered it up at the apple store with no problems) the second time was just a few minutes ago, does anyone know what this means (or could mean)? The battery was around 70% and 98% respectively when the problem occurred and hardware test showed nothing wrong. I tried searching the forums but didn't really know what I was looking for so I didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
macworld said:
1 beep = No RAM installed/detected
2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)
3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing
4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot bloc
Looking that the link you provided. it appears that there may be a problem with the memory installed. If you have the hardware test media. I suggest you test your system.

OP
Vagrant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I ran the hardware test(long test) when I got it home from the apple store and again today, everything passed both times. Could it be that the ram wasn't seated exactly right when the PB was reassembled, would that cause itermittent problems, or maybe the ram is about ready to bite the dust? Anyway I'm releived to know it is the ram, that I can fix myself if the need arises, I was afraid the logic board was the problem, I'm on my third one (in 8 months) first 2 were doa.

X

xthisisRomancex

go ahead and try to reseat the ram
here is a link incase you do not know how to get to the ram
ifixit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.