• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

A sad day for apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Hi everyone, today was class day for my senior class. Lots of the seniors put together songs or band gigs to play for the rest of the underclassmen and basically have a good time on the day before graduation. Now the main event each year is the slideshow. This year, a kid put his together on a G3 (I don't know how many MHZ) ibook. It was about 40 minutes long and had 6 songs included. It was made in iMovie. Unfortunatly the thing froze up and lagged like crazy throughout the whole thing.

What I was surprised at was the number of people who recognized it was an Apple. I can't tell you how many kids I heard muttering things like... Well I'm not getting a mac for college now. I also heard lots of responses like, "Yea macs suck!". All my friends who use PC's took this opportunity to tell me how macs suck and blah blah blah. I tried to explain that the computer was at least 4 and maybe more years old and probably had 128mb of ram. I would like to see how a 5 year old PC would run a 40 minute slideshow... Oh yea and the g3 was running panther I think (or at least jaguar).

I know this is more of a rant... But I'm just so ticked at people quickness to judge :eek:neye: . Well, let them have their PC boxes, I'm happy to bring my iMac to college. It is very very nice.

~Arich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Arichards said:
Hi everyone, today was class day for my senior class. Lots of the seniors put together songs or band gigs to play for the rest of the underclassmen and basically have a good time on the day before graduation. Now the main event each year is the slideshow. This year, a kid put his together on a G3 (I don't know how many MHZ) ibook. It was about 40 minutes long and had 6 songs included. It was made in iMovie. Unfortunatly the thing froze up and lagged like crazy throughout the whole thing.

What I was surprised at was the number of people who recognized it was an Apple. I can't tell you how many kids I heard muttering things like... Well I'm not getting a mac for college now. I also heard lots of responses like, "Yea macs suck!". All my friends who use PC's took this opportunity to tell me how macs suck and blah blah blah. I tried to explain that the computer was at least 4 and maybe more years old and probably had 128mb of ram. I would like to see how a 5 year old PC would run a 40 minute slideshow... Oh yea and the g3 was running panther I think (or at least jaguar).

I know this is more of a rant... But I'm just so ticked at people quickness to judge :eek:neye: . Well, let them have their PC boxes, I'm happy to bring my iMac to college. It is very very nice.

~Arich

Your friends don't see very educated on Macs as a whole and/or have probably never even used one. I can't even tell you how many times my 2.4 Ghz P4 1.5 GB of Ram having PC has froze/stuttered/crashed in the past 3 years. I would take their words with a grain of salt and remember nothing is always perfect.

As far as I am concerned, this is a great time to be a Mac owner. ;) Don't let the other kids get you down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Buy a MBP and rub it in their faces

Reaction score
Yea they've never used one probably. You can't throw macs into a drawer like that. They don't know what they're missing. Take the oppurtunity next time to impress yourself with a keynote slideshow put on a dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I like both Mac and PC. Im a long time PC user, only used Mac OS on certain occasions. My iBook has Linux. But I have someone willing to take it for another iBook with Panther on it. I am quite excited. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
iBeldar said:
I like both Mac and PC. Im a long time PC user, only used Mac OS on certain occasions. My iBook has Linux. But I have someone willing to take it for another iBook with Panther on it. I am quite excited. :)

Yea, I don't have anything against windows... i still use a windows computer on occation. I just don't like it when people are like... woah, all macs must suck. They don't take into the equation how much ram, cpu, or whatever is in it. (although a lot of them don't know anything about that stuff). Hence that is why it was a bad representation of Apple's computers. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Yea, most people who think Apple sucks have never even seen an iPod. They just think it sucks because Windows is better known for games, while they only seem to think Macs are only known for Music, Movie, Photo editing, and that kind of stuff. Macs are much better.

Reaction score
iBeldar said:
Yea, most people who think Apple sucks have never even seen an iPod. They just think it sucks because Windows is better known for games, while they only seem to think Macs are only known for Music, Movie, Photo editing, and that kind of stuff. Macs are much better.

exactly right :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
iBeldar said:

Most of the time the people dogging it are either ignorant or haven't used them in years. You can get the answer by simply asking them. 90% of the time they're speechless - they've just repeated what they've heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
yeah its the same way at my school. We had really old emacs in middle school which were restricted and you werent really able to use the mac os just like internet explorer. Alot of kids think thats what mac is! LOL their loss not ours

Reaction score
As long as stupid people like this stay the way they are, idiocy will never enter the mac popution.

We use and appreciate macs, in other words, we're better and lack the thought-processes of infants.

Reaction score
Actually speaking of the topic, my graduations film was done the same way. Twas about 40 minutes long and previewed in iMovie as well. There were no playback issues however. I suspect that it was either an eMac or an iBook. Both would have been G4s I imagine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
Honestly, those people in your class seem very closed-minded. On the other hand, what was that guy thinking of doing something like that in iMovie on a piece of crap G3 ibook? People that still run ancient G3 technology for an important event and not test it out beforehand as to not make a complete fool out of themselves when their good for nothing, 5 year old laptop chokes up in the middle of an important event like that, shows the ignorance which they have. It just angers me when I see people hanging on to something for so long. It is the same thing I see on the road, people driving unsafe, ugly, sh*t boxes that bring down the whole appeal of the city. Get a new laptop for goodness' sakes or give the task to someone else who knows how to plan something like that. The reason I am so ticked off about this is due to the fact that the same thing happened to me quite a few times. For example, one guy was put in charge of the memorial tribute to the 9/11 attacks on the United States just a few weeks after September 11, 2001. He had this whole thing prepared on an ancient laptop and come the day of the tribute, that laptop crashed and lagged throughout the presentation. I could not believe the lack of respect that person showed for all those lost souls that should have gotten a respectable memorial. So it angers me when people walk around with out of date technology!

Z

zap2

Ever think he does not have the $$ for a new laptop? But i would bet he is a billonare spy for Bill Gates how buys old Macs, and over works them, so they look bad in front of PC users.. thats diffenently it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
zap2 said:
Ever think he does not have the $$ for a new laptop? But i would bet he is a billonare spy for Bill Gates how buys old Macs, and over works them, so they look bad in front of PC users.. thats diffenently it

Then the task should be taken upon by a person that is capable of holding a presentation, not screwing it up with their lack of finances.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, he was a kid from our class, so he probably didn't have any funds to get a new computer. Still what he could have done was put it to a disk and given it to someone with a more powerful computer to present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
Arichards said:
Yea, he was a kid from our class, so he probably didn't have any funds to get a new computer. Still what he could have done was put it to a disk and given it to someone with a more powerful computer to present.

Yep, instead, he probably ruined the presentation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
This similar thing happened to me at my university a few months ago. I was playing a Sibelius score with about 20 midi instruments playing at the same time with a pretty decent sample rate on a G4 powerbook with only 512mb of ram and it stuttered maybe 3 or 4 times and this one kid in the class kept saying how macs suck. Not only that, it was in the middle of me presenting it and talking about certain parts so this idiot is talking over me about something he doesnt have a clue about. I don't bash something that I've never used...I don't even bash windows because it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks or does. I love my mac, so what anyone else thinks does not matter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo 1 GB RAM OS 10.4.6
Hate when people say Macs suck

Also, at my school, we had a server problem and two of the router switches going from the Xserves were busted so none of the computers were getting data, and nobody could log in. Everybody at my school was talking about how Macs suck and they're SO unreliable. Typical idiotic PC users! Everybody says how Macs are SO slow just because many of the classrooms use 300 MHz G3s with 128 megs of RAM, they say all Macs are like that!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
themacuser said:
Also, at my school, we had a server problem and two of the router switches going from the Xserves were busted so none of the computers were getting data, and nobody could log in. Everybody at my school was talking about how Macs suck and they're SO unreliable. Typical idiotic PC users! Everybody says how Macs are SO slow just because many of the classrooms use 300 MHz G3s with 128 megs of RAM, they say all Macs are like that!

People like that just amaze me. Blame the Xserve for a Bad Switch and the 300Mhz G3 with 128Megs RAM. Try a 300 PII with 128Megs RAM in XP or 2k. plain and simple, they don't want to see the truth but just bash something they don't like nor understand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.