Problem with copying files

• Thread starter scatman crother
  • Start date
S

scatman crother

Hi, i recently switched to a 15' Powerbook G4, and so far it's beautiful, except...

I'm trying to transfer my folder full of school work (almost all .doc files) to my mac from a wireless network. The first problem is that in accessing this folder I see along with my files a whole bunch of .tmp files. What are these? Next, when i copy (I just apple+c and then apple+V) them to a new folder on my desktop, the transfer goes well until a third of the way through when the progress bar just stops. The mac is still fine, but i can't 'stop copying' no matter how many times i click on the X button. Eventually i have to restart because there's just no way to stop that frozen progress bar and it seems to impede other programs. any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Try CTRL clicking the folder and selecting "Create Archive of..."

This zips the folder into one file and, most of the time, makes copying a lot easier.

OP
S

scatman crother

surfwax95 said:
Try CTRL clicking the folder and selecting "Create Archive of..."

This zips the folder into one file and, most of the time, makes copying a lot easier.
unfortunately, I can't create an archive of a network directory and i fear if i try consolidating them into one folder the same thing will happen.

OP
K

komo

scatman crother said:
Hi, i recently switched to a 15' Powerbook G4, and so far it's beautiful, except...

I'm trying to transfer my folder full of school work (almost all .doc files) to my mac from a wireless network. The first problem is that in accessing this folder I see along with my files a whole bunch of .tmp files. What are these? Next, when i copy (I just apple+c and then apple+V) them to a new folder on my desktop, the transfer goes well until a third of the way through when the progress bar just stops. The mac is still fine, but i can't 'stop copying' no matter how many times i click on the X button. Eventually i have to restart because there's just no way to stop that frozen progress bar and it seems to impede other programs. any help would be appreciated.

as far as i know, .tmp files are temporarily files that are automatedly generated by Microsoft Word while you working some .doc documents. if you don't want to copy those files, try to set your Windows options to Show Hidden Files, and delete those .tmp files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.