G4 Processor upgrade question

W

wngriff

I will be getting a Powermac with AGP Graphics 400 MHZ system, with 256 MB of RAM. I plan to upgrade the processor to 1.0 GHZ Sonnet processor. Once it's upgrade, will I be running at 1 GHZ? Would it be a tremendous improvement in speed and be able to successfully edit and burn home movies in ILife?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, I did a similar thing with my old "Sawtooth" and it was a great boost. You will be running at 1Ghz. I'd put at least 1Gb of RAM in it as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss is right. It will make quite a difference. The Sonnet is a good Upgrade. Also like Baggss said, up the RAM as far as you can. Otherwise 256 will bog down the system. 1GB is a good amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I paid $350 for my 1.3Ghz upgrade from Powelogix 3 years ago and it was worth every penny. I highly recommend Powerlogix btw.

The only downside with the system you will be getting, and it is what finally made me upgrade to the G5, is the main system bus is only 100Mhz and that becomes a limiting factor for higher intensity applications and/or bigger files. However, if you are using it for day to day or semi-heavy graphics, video or sound editing, it should be ok, especially with the upgraded CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
A great resource for reviews of all the major G4 upgrades is in the database on www.xlr8yourmac.com It helped me alot when I bought a 1.4 GHz gigadesign upgrade a couple years ago.

I think sonnet is a great upgrade manufacturer, but there are several that are just as good so you can buy whatever (from wherever) gets you the best bang for the buck.

Upgrading the sawtooth is a great deal right now. There are lots of fairly cheap upgrades available if you shop around.

OP
W

wenseleydale

also try www.macsales.com i have a 2001 quicksilver 733mhz that i upgraded to a 1.4ghz and it was an instant improvement! but like everyone else says, make sure you have enough ram. i put 1.25gigs in mine and it runs nice and smooth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.