really need advice on a particular situation..PORTING SOFTWARE ONTO G5

P

poorkid

hello everyone, i am new to this forum - so would like to thank you in advance for any advice i can get...

when I purchased my G5 dual 2.7 last year, out of the box, i was given an option to port over existing software and files to from my old G4 to the new the newly purchased computer...a totally wonderful feature.

my situation is this:
i have to go on a job overseas inwhich i have to rent a G5 station to work on post production for a week. the software that i need for the job is on my G5 as well as my laptop - given to me as a 2x serial usage only.

if i bring my laptop on site, is it possible to (1) clean install the rented G5 and (2) port over all my software from the LAPTOP?

i am asking because it seems that the install disks for a powerbook (G4 alu) and powermac seem different, which leads me to think that the infrastructure is different or incompatable ... or is the porting feature just simply a transfer of files? (not sure if that last statement makes sense but i think you get the idea)

the software is essential but i am obviously trying to save a buck.
any ideas?

ps, i also just realized - not sure how serial# system works, the install i was given worked on both my tower and powerbook and thats it. if the porting works will the new/rented computer accept the serial/authentication from my laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The short answer is yes,...G5 and G4 Macs will work with the same software and settings.

OP
P

poorkid

i guess i was talking about the migrate feature and serial numbers specifically. but thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.