Elgato Eye 250

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual-Core 2.3GHz PM G5, GF7800GT, 2GB RAM, Dell 2407FPW, 1.42GHz iBook 1.5GB RAM
I have finally been able to do something that I have not been able to do with my HP Pavilion ZD8000…that is watch and record live tv!!!

Since I received my ZD8000 (with Windows Media Center Edition), I have not been able to get ANY reception through the tv tuner that came with the laptop. HP replaced the tuner once, and I even sent the unit back for repair, but they could not reproduce the problem.

Sorry, I digress.

I purchased an iBook (1.42GHz, 1.5GB RAM) in Aug 2005 (mainly for my graduate school work) and I’ve been in love ever since. I can’t really explain it other than I am INSPIRED by its design and applications and what they allow me to accomplish.

I reluctantly purchased the Elgato Eye250 from Buy.com, followed the simple instructions that came in the box and was getting beautiful reception on all channels within 5 minutes. My wife and I were also pleasantly surprised as to how SEAMLESSLY the included software works with Toast 7, too. We were also amazed to the simplicity of how this worked versus the headache we have been enduring with the HP for the last year.

Needless to say, we are headed to our local Apple store this evening for my wife to check out the new laptops to replace her ZD8000. She has only used a mac the last few days (my iBook) and she has been quite proficient already and likes their ease of use.
I am hesitant with the heat issues of the new laptops (compared to my iBook)and since the Apple educational store still offers the iBook, we may get that…not sure. Then again, ANYTHING will run cooler than the ZD8000 since it has a P4 desktop processor and 7200rpm hard drive!
I know I will be picking up a PowerMac G5 very soon to supplement my Apple “habit”. Like many others in this forum, I am not willing to shell out $3K to work through the growing pains of Rev. A hardware and I have no plans for installing Windows on it, which is why I’m going for the PPC processor.

Anyway, if you are looking for a tv tuner, the Elgato Eye 250 is apparently their newest model and works flawlessly on an iBook!

BTW, has anyone noticed that they changed the color of the “select” button on the PowerPC models in the online Apple store? They used to be blue (like the iMac) but now they are silver. When you mouse over them, the tag says “buttonplatinum.gif”. Similar naming conventions are used for the colored Macbooks and Ipods (ie, button_black.gif, button_white.gif). Perhaps this is the indication that they will be offering colored Mac Pros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
How much was your tuner card? or did the el gato 250 come with a card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Murlyn said:
How much was your tuner card? or did the el gato 250 come with a card?

The EyeTV 250 is an external box with the MPeg hardware encoder built-in...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, it's the Box and the software. Works VERY WELL.

I got the Plextor ConvertX as it was a bit cheeper but still came with Elgatto's EyeTV Software. Works great. I use it on my iMac G5 iSight and Intel Mac Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.