Printing problems

A

afrdzak

Ok, I've got 2 printers on a network. Both are HP's one is a Laserwriter (has 8mb memory) and the other is a regular HP deskjet.

Both macs are G3. One with OS 9.2.2 and the other with 9.2.1. When we want to print anything, it takes a really really long time. More than 5 minutes sometimes with a graphic file that's about 1MB. Should it really take this long? It didn't use to take this long with a similar file.

Also, it slows the computer tremendously while it's sending to the printer. I've tried the solutions that Apple Help has and I've done a search on this forum and the Apple website. I've messed around with virtual memory settings, extensions, and printer settings with no luck.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

TR

OP
J

jasonr

afrdzak said:
Ok, I've got 2 printers on a network. Both are HP's one is a Laserwriter (has 8mb memory) and the other is a regular HP deskjet.

Both macs are G3. One with OS 9.2.2 and the other with 9.2.1. When we want to print anything, it takes a really really long time. More than 5 minutes sometimes with a graphic file that's about 1MB. Should it really take this long? It didn't use to take this long with a similar file.

Also, it slows the computer tremendously while it's sending to the printer. I've tried the solutions that Apple Help has and I've done a search on this forum and the Apple website. I've messed around with virtual memory settings, extensions, and printer settings with no luck.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

TR

I found that I have that problem with just one unit. It slows when I ask it to print, say, 24 pages. If I set it to print 12 and then the last 12, it goes fine.
Jas

OP
A

afrdzak

jasonr said:
I found that I have that problem with just one unit. It slows when I ask it to print, say, 24 pages. If I set it to print 12 and then the last 12, it goes fine.
Jas

We have tried printing in batches w/o luck. I had my coworkers do a sort of benchmark. I told them to print the same page from both the macs and the pc. Turns out that the Macs take much longer to send the page to the printer. My coworkers claim that it did not used to be like this.

This problem is beyond me since I'm not too familiar with Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.