G3 - Hard drive spins up repeatedly, strange

J

Juker

I have been a PC person until recently and am trying to learn more about mac's. Someone gave my an iBook, I think it's the 12.1" 700 MHz with 2 USB ports. It had a failing hard drive, it was a 20 gig drive running OS9. The drive was failing but the computer still booted from it.

I pulled the drive and put in a 20 gig drive from an IBM thinkpad. The drive spins up over and over, like the spinup process restarts every second or so when I try to let the computer boot from the drive (I restored an image of the bad drive to this 20 gig drive).

VRRRMMM,VRRRMMM,VRRRMMM, etc

But I can boot from a Discwarrior CD and the hard drive spins up fine and I can access it from being booted off the CD.

It only does that weird spinup thing when I try to boot from the drive.

I tested the drive with 2 passes of the IBM hard drive utility Advanced test on a PC before putting it in the ibook.

I thought there might be a trick to it because I have an iMac indigo doing a similar thing. I pulled it's 4 gig drive and put in a used and tested 20 gig drive but the drive goes click-click-click like a bad drive when it's in the mac but if I boot from a CD it works and is accessible plus it tests fine on PC's.

I give up, need advice. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is the drive close to full????

i do know a drive sometimes needs to spin a few times during startup, maybe you have a loud drive? or does it keep doing it after the startup process is done?
-chris

OP
J

Juker

coach_z said:
is the drive close to full????

i do know a drive sometimes needs to spin a few times during startup, maybe you have a loud drive? or does it keep doing it after the startup process is done?
-chris

No, the drive goes clunka clunka clunka (like a failing hard drive) non stop until I turn off the computer. If I pull the drive and hook it to an iMac 333 MHz it boots right up off of it no problems no strange noises.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.