So I spilled coffee on my Powerbook....any help?

E

esbern

(originally accidentally posted in the power mac forum :dummy: )
I have a Powerbook G4 bought in the summer of 2003 and have managed to spill coffee on it. The coffee spill happened about a week ago. I drained it out as much as I could, but I was told to not unscrew the computer because warranty would not apply to a computer that had already been opened. The computer does not work anymore. Sometimes it makes a few sounds, and one time the fans started spinning, but otherwise I get no luck.

I have a little knowledge of computers (more along the lines of pretty good circuitry knowledge), and I would like to get inside of it in order to as much cleaning/draining as possible.

So I have a few questions.

1: If I undscrew the thing (I have a 6 sided philips screwdriver to open it) will Apple not accept it anymore? For any more problems?

2: This is not under warranty, I assume. So are there any recommendations on how I could fix this myself?

Thanks a lot for all the help you can give me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Back in the day, I did car audio repair, and have seen many a beverage dumped into those things. Whether a soft drink or coffee, the best cleaning agent is plain, very hot water, but here's the deal:

You need to disassemble everything. It mechanical parts are involved (I'm thinking the optical drive, not the hard drive), set those aside. It may be necessary to disassemble those too, in the event coffee got inside them. Then, when the boards, keyboard, etc are all in a pile, hose them off with water as hot as possible. No need to brush anything, just flood everything with hot water until they're free of the coffee. Then, hit them with a blow dryer. No need to crank up the heat, but use low heat, lots of air, and dry them as much as you can. Then, let all of the parts sit and dry for a long time (I'd say at least 24 hours). Then, reassemble and pray.

Don't use solvents or cleaners. Nothing removes beverages (especially if there was sugar in it) better than hot water.

Now, this was the standard method we employed to clean the "soda" units. Those were car audio pieces (tuners, cassette decks, CD mechs). But, a circuit board is a circuit board. Still, naturally, there's no guarantee, particularly because you put power to it when it was still wet inside. The damage may already be done. Best of luck to you.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.