Another X11 question.........sorry........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Hey guys,

Sorry to ask ANOTHER X11 question, but here goes.

I have tonight installed X11 from my original Install/Backup disc. The installer failed first time (got stuck on the "Running Installer Script" bit) but worked second time round.

Anyway, went to start X11 and the icon bounced merily for a few seconds, then X11 appeared in the top left menu bar, then menu and icon disappeared. Gone.

I'm running 10.4.6 on MBP. Any clues as to why the software is quitting itself? Any help would be great as I want to start learning what I can do with it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You haven't possibly edited the xinitrc file have you? Its last statement is an exec to a window manager (quartz-wm). I suspect that if that statement was edited out, X11 might just immediately exit. The xinitrc file is at /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

OP
quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I can say with some confidence that I haven't done that as I have no idea what that means! :D

Reaction score
Open Console and see if there is a crash report. Tell us what it says if yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.