G4 MDD Dual Boot - Advice Please : )

A

Aquarius xx1

Hi there -
i know it's a bit cheeky posting this here as it's more of an OS issue ... but i didn't get any response in the "Windows, Linux, and Other Software" forum ...

problem is :
i've just bought a dual boot 1.25Ghz MDD G4 w/2gb RAM .
whilst in OS9 i look to see how much memory is being used by the OS (under 'About This Computer') ... and it says 574 MB !!!
Is that normal ?

i've checked the Extensions folder .. it only contains 152MB of Extensions .. so i don't think it's that ....
the whole System Folder is only 562MB (don't think it's that) .

does anyone else run a dual boot system similar to mine ? ... if so , it would be really handy if you could let me know if this is abnormal .

much appreciated .
hopefully i can help someone out somewhere in the future too .

OP
L

lil

This is quite normal under Mac OS 9 or older, as its memory allocation scheme is a lot different to OS X and it tends to grab big chunks even if it physically isn't using all that you allocate it. I would not worry about this!

Vicky

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just booted up my G4 500 Sawtooth into OS 9.2.2. Do you by any chance have the Ram Disk enabled? Check the Memory control panel. Otherwise I have never had that much used. Mine is around 67Megs used when it boots into OS9 with no other applications running. I have 1.25GB RAM and over 1GB free. I don't have any extra extensions turned on either. Pretty much a stock install of 9.2 with the .2 upgrade installed.

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

lil said:
This is quite normal under Mac OS 9 or older, as its memory allocation scheme is a lot different to OS X and it tends to grab big chunks even if it physically isn't using all that you allocate it. I would not worry about this!

Vicky

Thanks Vicky ...

i should maybe have made it clearer tho ...
it's just the OS using all that memory !!
there are no other visible programmes (other than Finder) running !! :O

Is that still normal ?

OP
A

Aquarius xx1

dtravis7 said:
I just booted up my G4 500 Sawtooth into OS 9.2.2. Do you by any chance have the Ram Disk enabled? Check the Memory control panel. Otherwise I have never had that much used. Mine is around 67Megs used when it boots into OS9 with no other applications running. I have 1.25GB RAM and over 1GB free. I don't have any extra extensions turned on either. Pretty much a stock install of 9.2 with the .2 upgrade installed.

Hey thanks D ,
i was begining to think it was normal .!
i can't believe that more than a quarter of my 2 gig of ram is being used up by the Finder .

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this :batman:

ps i'm not using a ram disk and virtual memory is swiched off .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.