What is the fastest way to...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
What is the fastest way to transfer files from one mac to a new mac? I've heard of firewire, ethernet, network etc all being pretty fast. Which is the best to use for transfering files from mac to mac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
you can boot your new mac into target disk mode by holding "T" during boot up, what that does is makes your computer an external firewire hard drive. Once its booted up, plug the firewire cable in both computers, the computer in target disk mode will show up as a hard drive and you can just drag the files from your old computer to your new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i used firewire disk mode when i did it but in the long run if your old computer is really slow the connection might not be quite as fast.

there is also a migration assistant type program you can find in your applications or utility folder...the same one that pops up when you are setting up your new mac in case you didnt know
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I transferred files from my 233MHz iMac G3 with Ethernet and it worked the fastest. It didn't have any other option really but it worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.