Pismo OS X Install

M

mateo107

I'm trying to do a fresh install of OS X (10.2.4 right now) onto a Powerbook Pismo.

I received this PBook Pismo from a friend, specs. are:
G3 500 , 384MB Ram, 20GB HDD, DVD ROM, F/W , etc...

The unit was working with OS 9.2 when I received it, but being an OS X Junkie, I'm upgrading the OS. I've COMPLETELY erased the HDD during my initial OS X install, and attempted a full install onto the (now) clean 19.x GB partition.

After the first install CD completes and the unit reboots, I get the apple boot screen and then I get "static" like lines across the screen and it freezes. I remember that I used to get a similar problem on an older PBook (333) that I had, where I needed to make the partition size smaller or else the OS wouldn't load.

So, I started a new install, set the partition size to:
Primary ~6GB
Secondary ~14GB

And then I did a new install onto the 6GB partition. Same problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Firmware update perhaps? Can I do this by booting from an emergency OS X CD that I have, and run the firmware update from a USB key? (if thats the problem)

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
The Pismo doesn't require a smaller partition, you should be able to install it on a single 19.x partition. It sounds like there may be some bad sectors on the hard drive. You could boot from the CD and try to run some kind of HD diagnostic (there maybe some free ones on macupdate.com). It is also possible that there is a firmware update available, but I don't remember ever updating the firmware on my pismo. To update the firmware you usually have to have a bootable OS on the hard drive. Do you have an OS 9 CD?

OP
M

mateo107

yah, i do have OS 9... so I think i'll try to re-install that first and see how that goes... and work my way up from there...

(unless I get other suggestions)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try the OS9 and see how that goes. I know of many who have installed even Panther on the Pismo and it went fine. Something is wrong somewhere. If OS9 installs and runs fine, let us know. I will do some searching around the net in the mean time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
mateo107 said:
yah, i do have OS 9... so I think i'll try to re-install that first and see how that goes... and work my way up from there...

(unless I get other suggestions)
I think that is a good Idea. That is how I installed OSX on mine (9 first then OSX) based on someones recomendation, but I can't remember whose or why they said it was the best way to do it. Let us know if it works.

OP
A

Asoulintime1982

There somin seriously worng with your powerbook I have a prismo running Panther on a single 20gb partition and no issues here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.