Spitting iMac

Reaction score
I have an unusual problem, with probably no solution short of bringing my iMac to the Apple Store. And it is quite funny actually.

Just watch this video on YouTube. It speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8uotIvBNMM

This occurs with anything that I eject from my drive, be it a CD or DVD. And it has only begun happening recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I expected it to "shoot" out of it haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I suspect your rom drive has been working out in your absence, it doesn't know its own strength. Have a talk with it and make it understand that CDs aren't that heavy and this isn't a competition. It just needs a stern talking-to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
HAHA Wow, I've heard of that happening before but never seen it. What did you do?

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
haha I didn't do anything, it just started happening one day, completely randomly. And it's worse with certain media, depending on the weight, I think. It's not really that bad of a problem, so long as I know to catch the disk each time it ejects. It's just mostly a nuisance really.

When I pull together the effort I'll tote it into the apple store. Knowing my luck, it probably will work fine once I get there.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
The only obvious conclusion is that I've done something bad, and that my iMac is mad at me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
cool, now train it how to fling the cd's. OH! and catch them too, that would be fun at reunions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
djlee12 said:
I have an unusual problem, with probably no solution short of bringing my iMac to the Apple Store. And it is quite funny actually.

Just watch this video on YouTube. It speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8uotIvBNMM

This occurs with anything that I eject from my drive, be it a CD or DVD. And it has only begun happening recently.

Naturally, the best solution is getting it fixed properly by Apple, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if you put (just to see what effect it has) a small piece of tape across the very bottom part of the slot. I'm thinking if it hit just the slightest bit of resistance, it might "roll up" and stop the way it's supposed to. If that works, perhaps a small, clear piece of plastic might do the job. Again, I'd want it fixed properly . . I guess, but I'd also hate to part with it if a really quick and dirty fix got it working. :)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
basically part of your drive either became disconnected or broke, go get it fixed

someone else had this problem as well recently...

oh and i also forgot to comment that that was funny as all heck!
0chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, our old demonstration 20" iMac G5 at work used to do that as well... it has since been swapped for a 20" intel iMac. (Taught him a lesson)

My advice: Start making an ebay auction of it and researching Powermacs - that should scare it into behaving...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.