No stand by in Boot Camp...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
You know how when you close the lid, the Macbook goes to sleep? And sort of the same thing happens when you click Stand By on a PC? Well when you're running Windows on the Macbook and you close the lid nothing happens, and in the Start menu Stand By is grayed out. Do I actually have to shut it down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
corysw said:
You know how when you close the lid, the Macbook goes to sleep? And sort of the same thing happens when you click Stand By on a PC? Well when you're running Windows on the Macbook and you close the lid nothing happens, and in the Start menu Stand By is grayed out. Do I actually have to shut it down?
Somewhere in the Control Panel or in Windows's settings, you can choose what you want to happen when you close the lid, shut down, nothing, sleep etc. Just find that setting and select stand by. Sorry I could not help more

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's under Power Options. It says:
"When I close the lid of my portable computer:"

But the only choice there is "Do nothing"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
corysw said:
It's under Power Options. It says:
"When I close the lid of my portable computer:"

But the only choice there is "Do nothing"...
Then I have no idea, sorry.

Reaction score
I wonder why Windows is unable to sleep the macbook.

You'd have to find out what part of the computer actually controls sleeping. If it's BIOS, it's possible this doesn't work with Apple's EFI technology.

But I really have not much knowledge on that topic (was that english...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
QUOTING PENGUINS IN MADAGASCAR=

"Well that sucks!"

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shut it down, and when I turned it back on, I went back, and now the options are all there. So now it does stand by when I shut the lid. I guess I just had to restart it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
As much as you hate windows, why are you even using it?

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are some things you just can't do on a Mac. I like going to http://local.live.com, and it doesn't work in OS X or Virtual PC. I also like Solitaire.
On another note, at work we use Windows XP in classic mode, and call me crazy, but after using the colorful version at home on a really fast computer for a few minutes, I actually found OS X kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I could never use Windows as my main OS, as I would never get anything done, between not having things like Expose or Spotlight.

C

caveatipss

yogi said:
I wonder why Windows is unable to sleep the macbook.

You'd have to find out what part of the computer actually controls sleeping. If it's BIOS, it's possible this doesn't work with Apple's EFI technology.

But I really have not much knowledge on that topic (was that english...)

Because it's Windows! If there is something that Windows can screw up, it will find it and do it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
corysw said:
There are some things you just can't do on a Mac. I like going to http://local.live.com, and it doesn't work in OS X or Virtual PC. I also like Solitaire.
On another note, at work we use Windows XP in classic mode, and call me crazy, but after using the colorful version at home on a really fast computer for a few minutes, I actually found OS X kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I could never use Windows as my main OS, as I would never get anything done, between not having things like Expose or Spotlight.

I tried that url in Firefox and Opera under OSX and both worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.