• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft to release Apple keyboard & mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Found it on Digg:

http://www.personaltechpipeline.com/news/188501040

Text:

Microsoft said Tuesday it has produced a desktop specifically for users of rival Apple Macintosh systems.

"This launch further demonstrates Microsoft’s commitment to enhancing the computing experience for Mac users," Scott Erickson, director of product management and marketing for the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft, said in a prepared statement.

Among the elements of Microsoft's announcement is a Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac’s Comfort Curve Keyboard; Mac Modifier Keys, which provide "control, option and command" buttons; a "Zoom Slider" that enables magnification of digital photos and other media; favorites keys; an "Eject" key for CDs and DVDs; other "Hot Keys;" and a high-definition laser mouse.

Microsoft said this is the latest example of its efforts to provide products for Mac users, including versions of its Office software for the Macintosh operating system.

The Redmond, Wash., company said it is street-pricing its Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac at $99.95 and it will be available during the summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
"This launch further demonstrates Microsoft’s commitment to enhancing the computing experience for Mac users," Scott Erickson, director of product management and marketing for the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft, said in a prepared statement.

Which is why I'm running the Windows Media Player 11 Beta and IE 7 on my Mac.

Reaction score
I do appreciate microsofts commitment to the mac in many areas, especially office.

What you must understand concerning Media Player and IE 7 on the mac is, microsoft knows half the people will use a better alternative. We have quicktime, which I love, and VLC and we have safari, camino and firefox... oh and opera too.

So I think microsoft feels it's unnecessary to invest in these areas.

But I wonder why anyone would buy that keyboard. The apple hardware is much nicer and curvy keyboards just don't fit the mac picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
yogi said:
I do appreciate microsofts commitment to the mac in many areas, especially office.

What you must understand concerning Media Player and IE 7 on the mac is, microsoft knows half the people will use a better alternative. We have quicktime, which I love, and VLC and we have safari, camino and firefox... oh and opera too.

So I think microsoft feels it's unnecessary to invest in these areas.

But I wonder why anyone would buy that keyboard. The apple hardware is much nicer and curvy keyboards just don't fit the mac picture.

I was just kidding around. I was just poking fun at the article...

Honestly though, if they released an ergonomic keyboard for the Mac, I'd buy it in a second, but if it's just a normal one, then I couldn't care less...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
to_tough_to_die said:
I was just kidding around. I was just poking fun at the article...

Honestly though, if they released an ergonomic keyboard for the Mac, I'd buy it in a second, but if it's just a normal one, then I couldn't care less...

Yup, looks like it's ergonomic. Their product page is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=078

I can't say much for their software, but their hardware is amazing. I have had good experiences with every piece of Microsoft hardware I've purchased - wireless cards, keyboards, mice, etc. 123MacMini has some good info on the new one (no Start button!):

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/482.html

Microsoft today announced the availability of the Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac, its first Mac-specific desktop complete with a stylish wireless Comfort Curve Keyboard and a wireless High Definition laser mouse. With this new desktop set, the Microsoft Hardware division combines comfortable design with High Definition technology to deliver the ultimate in cutting-edge performance, luxury and style to any Mac user. The futuristic silver finish complements the Mac design to make a mark on any desktop while providing the freedom of wireless control.

The Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac features Microsoft's first keyboard designed specifically for the Mac. The key layout is consistent with Mac-only keyboards. To truly meet Mac users' needs, this is Microsoft's only keyboard without the Windows Start button. The Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac is compatible with the new Intel-based Mac machines as well as PowerPC models, and will have Hot Keys that map to Mac programs such as iTunes and iPhoto. The Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac will be available this summer for an estimated retail price of US$99.95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I'm very happy with my standard bluetooth apple keyboard and mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Looks cool but for $100 i think I will just stay with my standard wireless mac keyboard and mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is relatively fugly....does not even come close to mirroring apples designs
::thumbs down::

Reaction score
I don't care for Microsoft operating system and in general any Microsoft software and specifically Microsoft business practices. However, with that said i have been using a Microsoft wireless ergonomic/split keyboard for well over two years now, the last being on the Mac PM 2.0 for over a year now and I like it very much. I do not like the stock Apple keyboard or mouse.

If i spend 8 to 10 hours on the Mac keyboard my wrists hurt real bad, not so with the Microsoft ergonomic. It gripes me to complement em, but their hardware does seem to work just fine. They also have a driver for their keyboards that changes some of the keys to match what they are on the Mac.

Giving the devil his due.....(G)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I'm a big fan of the Kensington Slim keyboard (for Mac). I love the notebook style keys (short keystroke travel), that it's quiet, and that it's flat. I think I paid about $40 for it, and it was worth every penny. I've never really thought much of any of Microsofts keyboard or mouse products, but then again, that's why they make chocolate and banana. :)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
That keyboard and mouse are sexy. If the keyboard acts as a USB hub and the wireless base is compact and sexy as well, I am pretty much sold.

A

AMacSoon

Nah ... looks to Windows-ish and for a lower price, Logitech has a similar product, that's at least white and some how stylish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
all this but they keep taking over with Mindows media encoding and no new media player for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
by seeing the picture of it - through the various links
i think it is very ugly and with a mac pc you should have a mac keyboard or similar but NOT a microsoft one. even if there hardware is gd sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.